Jan 2014 Update made my S III Unstable
bluemoonsailor

Ever since the update, I've had problems with my phone crashing. Most commonly, it's while I'm in the Chrome browser, but it has also happened at other times (i.e. I can't blame Chrome). Just a few minutes ago, it crashed while downloading updates from the app store. It was so bad that I had to remove the battery to recover my phone.

Is there *anything* I can do to help restore system stability? My S III has, up this this January's update, been very stable and reliable - it just worked. Now, it's an expensive paperweight.

Steve G.

0 Likes
Re: Jan 2014 Update made my S III Unstable
jbmcdroid
Contributor - Level 1

In situations as this when removing the battery for about 30 seconds and rebooting (restarting) the device doesn't solve the 'crashing' or locking up problem, you probably will need to perform a hard factory reset (after backing up user data) from the system settings or from the Android System Recovery Mode (rebooting by simultaneously long-pressing the power button + the volume up button + the home button).

But first, try one or more of the following steps:

1. Power off and remove both the battery and the sim card for 30 seconds, then power on.

2. Uninstall all user downloaded apps and reinstall one at a time (starting with the app that seems to be the culprit, Chrome browser in your case). If you're able to isolate the app responsible for the problem, uninstall it and report your findings to the app developer/s listed in the app description on Google Play Store, as well as to Verizon Technical Support.

3. If after performing the above steps and the problem remains, a factory reset generally is the recommended action to take. (After doing a few of these hard resets, they're not so scary as they first were. Just remember to backup all important user files and optionally remove any external memory SD card/s, though factory resets normally do not affect the removable memory files.)

IMPORTANT FOR REMOVAL OF SD CARDS--Go to your device system settings and in the storage menu option be sure to 'unmount' your removable memory card/s before powering off and removing the card/s to avoid possible corruption of the external memory.

4. Finally, if all else fails, call Verizon Technical Support (or take your device to a Verizon store) to test your device and, in many cases like yours, they will replace your device with a new or factory-refurbished model. If you are eligible for an upgrade to another device of your choice, you may have nothing or little to pay with an extended 2 year contract, or you can purchase another device outright. (Another replacement option is to purchase a new or used certified Verizon mobile device from retail stores such as Amazon or eBay making sure that the device is 'clean' not stolen.)

0 Likes