It is taking too long to delete a conversation in messages+. What should I do?
RobertManshack

I'm holding the conversation thread to pop up the menu and choosing to delete the entire conversation including locked messages.  I've let it run for 4 hours and it's still not done.  I've reset the phone, and cleared message+ cache data.  Is there any way to manually go into file explorer and delete the conversation another way?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Galaxy S5 - Message+ conversation has too many messages to delete
Snn5
Legend

Correct.  You should do one thread at a time.  If you have a huge thread, you might do it in quarters.  Like I said, it will seem to take forever, and it might if you have many threads and hundreds of messages.  Right now that is the only way unless you want to factory reset the phone and wipe out everything.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I had this same problem; forgot to set a limit. What I had to do was open the specific message thread that won't delete, hold down, select delete, and then went through and had to check mark each text. I think I was doing around 50 at a time until it got low enough that I could just like usual and delete the whole thing in one go.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I should mention that you shouldn't spend your time selecting all of them, it will unlikely work, you should limit it to 30-50 checked text messages otherwise you will just encounter the same problem.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

You need to start with one thread at a time and the shortest one first.  This will take a LONG time and you should do so at night and with the phone plugged in.  Then after all this is done, set a limit to 100-200 messages per recipient before they are overwritten.  This will keep your phone in better shape for sending and receiving messages, especially MMS pic messages faster.

0 Likes
RobertManshack

So basically there's not a way around doing it a chunk at a time.  I've looked for apps but can't find one that isn't just backing up or deleting all conversations....

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

It took me about 20 minutes to delete 1 thread by using the check mark system. The smaller threads should delete like normal, for me at least they did, it was the ones that were insanely long; 1000+

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Correct.  You should do one thread at a time.  If you have a huge thread, you might do it in quarters.  Like I said, it will seem to take forever, and it might if you have many threads and hundreds of messages.  Right now that is the only way unless you want to factory reset the phone and wipe out everything.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Once the thread gets small enough by deleting in chunks you will be able to just select the whole thing and delete it.

0 Likes