Issue with Update Assistant (Repair)
w_c_b

Earlier today I ran the Verizon Update Assistant to "Repair" the installation on my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone, and the app locked up about 35% into the download software step of the process. Over 3 hours into the initial run, the progress meter was stalled in the same spot. This was after I had requested backups of everything. The only way to get the app to finish was to restart my PC, and re-run the app.  On the second run I selected the "skip" option for backing up, assuming that I had everything backed up from the first run. When the repair app finished my phone came back with all the apps that I'd previously installed properly reinstalled, but my voice mail and contacts folders were empty - only the 5 default contacts are still there.  My question is, how do I find where the Update Assistant put my old contacts file, and how can I get that reinstalled on my phone?  It is very frustrating to use a tool, only to have it fail during a critical operation, and to have no readily apparent instructions of what to do next to recover from the problem.

0 Likes
Re: Issue with Update Assistant (Repair)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

w_c_b, we can understand your concern. Have you checked to see if your contacts have been backed up to the Verizon Cloud?

EstebanP_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Re: Issue with Update Assistant (Repair)
w_c_b

Yes, I have, and they are not there.  I have nothing in my Verizon cloud storage.  I do still have my old Samsung S2 phone, which I was using up through mid 2014.  If all else fails, if there is a way to transfer the contacts file from the old phone over to my S5, that would restore about 90% of what I've lost.

BTW - you need to work on that Update Assistant app to make it more bullet-proof against issues like this one. I'm not an IT novice, and if I couldn't determine a way to recover from the freeze-up that would not lose my data, then it is likely that most of your customers will not.

0 Likes