Is there some trick to getting this phone to work on an open WiFi?
jss101

Is there some trick to getting this phone to work on an open WiFi that required a web page login?  I can't get that to work, and I've tried several different open WiFi networks.  A secured WiFi works just fine.

0 Likes
Re: Is there some trick to getting this phone to work on an open WiFi?
jss101

I meant "requires" not "required" in my previous post.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Some open wifi require a guest log in, others at restaurants and such require only that you open the browser and accept the terms.

0 Likes
jss101

Yes, but..

When I open the browser instead of redirecting I get the "web page not available" message.  I've tried Chrome and Firefox with the same results.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
jss101

We want you to get connected to your wifi. Is it only this particular wifi that you are having issues with? Do you get an error message at all?

SandyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
jss101

It works fine on my home WiFi, which requires a key.

When I try it on an open WiFi that does not require a key, but requires a login from a browser, both browsers that I have tried do not successfully make it to the login page.  The error is the "not connected to the internet" error.  I've tried Chrome and Firefox with the same results.  I've tried this on "xfinitywifi" and on an open wifi at work that requires a login with the same results.  No apps appear to be able to get on the network in this state.  If I disable wifi then everything works again, of course using data.

Any other information I can provide?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
jss101,

Thanks for the additional details! Have you tried manually adding the wifi connection http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-107598/? When you get to step seven select "none", since it's an open wifi connection. Retest and keep us posted.

JohnB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
jss101

Thank you for following up.  This yielded more, but still unsuccessful, results.  I added xfinitiywifi manually and made sure to select "none" for security.  When I asked to connect, it did, and a message scrolled by at the top that said "sign into wifi network" (which was encouraging!).  It then asked me if I wanted to use FireFox for this action, once, or always.  I selected "once".  It brought up firefox, with a screen that says:

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

1. The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy.  Try again in a few moments.

2. If you are unable to load any pages check your mobile device's data or WiFi connection.

As I've been typing this to you it gave up and reconnected to my home wifi.  So now when I try things on the internet they work, but it's using my usual, secured network.

Interestingly enough, if I look again at the WiFi setup, xfinitywifi is now shown in the list with the words "Sign-in is required." underneath it.  That's a good sign too!  I tried connecting to it again.  The encouraging messages scroll on the top "connected to xfinitiywifi" and "sign in required" but any attempt to use the browser results in the same "the connection was reset" screen.

Thanks again for your help with this!

0 Likes
ceeinsocal

I'm having the same issue on my Droid phone lately. For a year, I was able to connect to open WiFi networks with no problem. But in the last several months, I stopped getting the notification that I needed to sign into the network, and now I get an "unable to load" message like you do. Would love to know if you come up with a solution to this. I'm wondering if an android upgrade or installation of a particular app caused the problem.

0 Likes
jss101

It remains a mystery.  I'm disappointed but I've never found a fix.  If something turns up I'll post it here.

0 Likes