Is There Any Way Under Heaven to Prevent Kit-Kat from Installing?
BirdOnTheBeach
Contributor - Level 1

I've already had my phone screwed up enough.  Tonight the stupid Kit-Kat downloaded to my Galaxy S3, and I'm getting those annoying pop-up dialogues asking me when I want to start the install.

I don't WANT to start the install.  After reading so many problems here, especially the battery charging issues, I don't understand why this update continues to be pushed on those that have not already been stuck with it.

Please!  ANYONE!  Tell me how to get this out of my phone.  I am looking for new phone, though I shouldn't have to, but it's going to be a couple of months before I can do it.  I'm only one year into a 2-year contract so I'm having to pay out of pocket for the new one.  I've already spent a ton of money on portable power packs, extra batteries, extra chargers.

These things are money-pits, plain and simple.  And making people tear their hair out.  For Pete's sake, leave us alone!

0 Likes
Re: Is There Any Way Under Heaven to Prevent Kit-Kat from Installing?
bubblemaker

I too am getting those annoying messages prompting me to install Kitkat & I want to know how I can avoid the update. Please tell me how to stop the notices & accidental update.

0 Likes
Not applicable

If you search this forum and do a Google search it has been stated that it cannot be prevented. The phone will after so many alerts do the update on its own.

I do agree that it should be consumers choice but alas that is not the way it is done.

Good Luck

0 Likes
BirdOnTheBeach
Contributor - Level 1

bubblemaker  Elector

Try this...

Application Manager-All-Google Services Framework-Uncheck Show Notifications

That at least stopped the annoying popups that just WAIT for you to get through your lock-screen, then jump in before you can hit another app, forcing the install.

I don't know if this will hold it off forever, but my daughter has been able to avoid the 4.3 update since last December.

The Android icon will appear in your notification bar, but it will remain quiet.

EDITED TO UPDATE:  Well, no, it isn't working after all.  All is lost and our phones are doomed.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Yeah I have read about the notifications being turned off. But I have read here as I posted it still installs the update.

Good Luck

0 Likes
bubblemaker

I tried to look for the All Google Services Framework in the app manager, to no avail.  I guess I will just have to keep trying to hit the back button to get rid of the pop up, but the install button is right above it  Argh.  

0 Likes
BirdOnTheBeach
Contributor - Level 1

Whatever you do, move slowly and purposefully!  I accidentally got the last update because I was moving around the screen too fast and the install window jumped in when I wasn't expecting it.

😞

0 Likes