Internet speed dropped 10 fold after switching to 55+ unlimited..
Marko7
Enthusiast - Level 1

I changed to the new 55+ unlimited plan today and my internet speed dropped to .35mbps when it used to be between 3 -6 mbps. It is basically unusable now. I want to switch back to my old plan but having a hard time getting hold of anyone at Verizon ....please help

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Internet speed dropped 10 fold after switching to 55+ unlimited..
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you using your phone as a mobile hotspot? 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Marko7
Enthusiast - Level 1

No..I am not using a hotspot. Both mine and my wife's phone slowed down dramatically after switching plans.  Just want back what i had.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is possible that you were deprioritized after switching your plan because the tower you normally connect to was overloaded. The 55-plus-unlimited-plan can be deprioritized at any time behind other customers paying for higher priority in their plans. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Marko7
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm sure that is what happened, just didn't expect such dismal speeds.  No way you can stream anything at that speed and the ability to stream videos was a selling point if this plan. I switched back to original plan and speed returned.  Just a waste of 12 hours going through this ordeal. I would not recommend the 55+ plan to anyone..period.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here are the FAQs about the 55+ unlimited plan if you haven't already reviewed it. 

https://www.verizon.com/support/55-plus-unlimited-plan/

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Marko7, we always want you on a plan that best fits your needs. may we ask what plan you were on previously? As Ann154 stated, on the 55+ plan, you can see slower speeds anytime there is congestion. Once that clears, your 4G/LTE speeds will resume. If you would like to change plans, you may do so through your My Verizon account online or app: https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/

ChristineK_VZW

0 Likes