Re: Incompatible charger for S5
minikid
Enthusiast - Level 1

My S5 started rejecting the original charger and cable a day or so ago.  Phone was not dropped or had any water damage to it. I have been using the original charger and cable that came with my phone.  I use it in a wall outlet.  There is nothing wrong with the cable or charger.  I keep getting the error message that the cable is not compatible with my phone, and will not charge.  Or I get that it is slow charging and use cable cam with phone... Which I am.  I have tried other Samsung chargers and I keep getting the incompatible error message.

No new apps or downloads, and this was happening before the most recent update.

Is there a way to fix this issue?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

minikid,

I can see where not being to get your phone to "see" the charger would be a concern. It's definiltey important to be able to charge your phone! Let's find out more. Is the connection port lose or seem to wiggle at all? Was there anything added to the phone within the last day or so (maybe a new app)? We are here to help in any way that we can, please share more details.
ErinW_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
minikid
Enthusiast - Level 1

As I mentioned earlier,  nothing new was added or downloaded,  and the charger and cable are fine and fit tight.

sks7267
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am glad to know I am not the only one experiencing this issue.  This has been occurring for the past month with my Samsung 5 phone.  The same issue happened when I had a Samsung 3.  I was advised by a sales rep at Verizon Wireless that the charging port had gone bad and I would require a new phone, which is why I now have a Samsung 5.  At the time of the charging issue with the Samsung 3, the phone was 2 years and 1 month old, conveniently past the warranty so that nothing could be done about the charging port and I was forced to get a new phone.  Now that this situation has been occurring with my Samsung 5, which is 1 year and 14 days old, I have been told by several sales reps that it is absolutely NOT the charging port, but that the charger has gone bad.  First, the car charger ceased to charge the phone.  I was told that a new charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter outlet would fix the problem.  It did not.  Luckily, I had the forethought to try this before I left the Verizon store.  I was then told to purchase a new cable to plug into the lighter outlet portion of the charger, which worked for a short time.  My original charger that came with the phone, for the home, causes my phone to show a message that the phone is not compatible with this charger and that if I would like to charge faster, I should try using the one that came with the phone..even though it IS the charger that came with the phone.  I then had to purchase ANOTHER charger for the home (mind you these charges are $25 each) and now this charger worked for two hours total and now ceases to charge the phone after about 10-15 seconds, and I receive the incompatible charge error message continuously.  And before Verizon responds to this comment (if they even acknowledge it), I will make it clear that the phone charger is not damaged, nor is the charging port, it has been reset multiple times, and the phone has NOT been:  dropped in 6ft of water, had a drop of water within 50 feet of it, dropped from a mountain top or 1 inch from the ground, nor has it had any dust, dirt, grease, oil, or food spilled on or near it.  And to cover all bases, it has not been in a zombie apocalypse.  With that out of the way, I hope that I can get some resolution to what the cause of this issue is, as I will not spend another $25 or even .$.01 on another charger that will just result in the same inability to charge my phone.  Some of us need to have a phone in case of emergency and it's unfortunate that we are all at the mercy of phone carriers who make it impossible to have a phone last over 1 year.  And because it has only been 1 year and 14 days, I am not where near eligible to upgrade as I have not paid off at least 75% of the astronomical cost of the cell phone.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Sks7267,

You deserve the best device experience at all times. We know how frustrating it can be to have a charger that this not working properly with the device. Lets get this fixed. I have sent you a direct message for additional assistance. 

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

skw1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I got misleading message for many, many weeks, intermittently, when I first got my S5.  The spurious messages always went away when I took off the back cover of the phone and charged it like that.  The message came back again recently.  Same solution: take the back off of the phone to charge it.  My suspicion is that the phone/battery flex relative to each other and that causes the symptoms.

sdgoodlife
Enthusiast - Level 2

This sounds like my experience. Out of the blue - no drop, no water exposure - the phone comes up with an
"unable to charge... incompatible charger" message. It was not even plugged into a charger. Tried cleaning, the (already clean) charging contacts, removing the battery, making mystical signs, etc., but no joy.  At some point it went into a recovery mode and tried to download software - it actually charged several %points during that time which tells me this is software "feature".

Thanks Verizon 😞

- is this what we get for overpaying for your service?

jarisaj
Enthusiast - Level 2

My phone is doing the same thing. I'm very frustrated as I have the same chargers that I originally got with my phone. Both my car and wall charger are not working. I'm super annoyed. What do I do?

sdgoodlife
Enthusiast - Level 2

I noticed that the charger works - but only in ultra power saving mode.

The next morning, after fully charging it, went back to standard mode and the charger(s) were working again.

This is definitely a software bug.

0 Likes
jpg316
Enthusiast - Level 1

The same issue is happening with my Galaxy s5. My phone is displaying a message saying the charger is not compatible and to use original charger, which I am already using.

-I'm using the original charger

-no new downloads/updates

-No damage to the phone or charger of any kind (noticeable to me)

Please contact me with a solution to this issue. It is extremely frustrating.