Improve location accuracy prompt
raccoongrrl

I have a Galaxy S8 with the most recent android updates applied.

A couple of updates ago, whenever I turned Location on (I leave it off unless I need it), in addition to getting the main "Location consent" message (which I expect), I am also getting prompted to "Improve location accuracy?" which I do not agree to. (I also have googles settings locked down so that they don't track everywhere I am at all times).

I never got this message before and it is making me crazy to have to deal with it every time. I've searched all over, and some people blame Google Play Services (which I can't seem to do anything about), or recommend uninstalling and reinstalling Maps (which didn't do a thing far as I could tell), and someone said it was a google app thing that got fixed and now isn't a problem. Welp, it still is on my phone.

It is so hard to determine whether the issue is device, OS, carrier, or app-specific, or if there is some setting somewhere that I just have to get set correctly, but I am over it. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Improve location accuracy prompt
bearone21
Legend

i've gotten that message on older galaxy phones + current note5 about improving accuracy + consent messages...choice of either keeping gps off & live with it or leave gps on.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

raccoongrrl, I completely get not wanting to have the same notification appearing over and over. The reason that message keeps appearing is because the question to improve the accuracy is tied into the turning on and off of your Location Services. The phone's software prompts this question when you turn the Location Services on, because each time you turn it off, you're resetting the location services. So, when the services are turned back on, they need to clarify how accurately you want to have your position plotted.

The only way to have the message no longer appear is to leave Location Services on and then choose how you want the service to function. If you do choose to go that route, Samsung has a helpful article on how to adjust the location services, to select the accuracy of location: https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/how-to-improve-the-location-accuracy-on-google-map...

I hope that clarifies why you see the message each time, and you find the Samsung instructions helpful.

John_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
raccoongrrl

Count me as a huge non-fan. This only started happening a couple of updates ago. I have had this phone for a year and a half and I had no such issue before then. I am aggravated by this change because if I wanted to use the other options, I would. I have no intention of leaving location services on at all times. This is my 3rd Galaxy phone, and it might end up being my last. Thanks for the response.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

raccoongrrl, we can understand not being a big fan of this update. The intention is to improve service, most people keep it on which is probably why the update happened. I'm sorry it's not a good update for you. We will definitely share your feedback with the manufacturer.

Dolores_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes