Re: IMS Has Stopped Galaxy S7
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Just found this on samsung forum not sure if you tried any of the things they done on there but thought I would post this and hope it helps

unfortunately ims service has stopped - Samsung Community - 30801

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Rottyr,

Thanks for the update and all your hard work in an effort to resolve this issue. Correct, if the issue continues in safe mode then it's a not third party issue. Glad to hear that the issue has not occured again since clearing the cache. Should the message appear again, the Software repair assistant https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/samsung-update-upgrade-assistant/ would be the next troubleshooting step to resolve the issue. Please keep us posted with any addtional results, we want to make sure that your issue has been completely resolved. 

Thanks,

PamelaF_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
rottyr
Enthusiast - Level 2

IMS Has Stopped crash reappeared.

Hypothesis:  Error is somehow associated with/triggered by travel (network handshaking?  time stamping?)

The sequence of Events:  Phone worked without error at home and at my office (about 15 miles away) for five days.  Boarded a flight.  Turned phone completely off.  Arrived at destination two time zones away, waited until I was inside the terminal, turned phone on, started texting, IMS Has Stopped crash occurred after two minutes (note that this is typical.  The crash is not immediate but a few minutes after restarting the phone or turning the phone on).  "Restarted" the phone.  IMS crash two minutes after restart.  "Turn Off" phone and turned on and the phone worked fine for 36 hours.  Installed a System Update.  IMS crash starts again.  "Turn Off" and turn back on after a minute.  IMS Crashing happens repeatedly for several hours.  Close all apps, "Turn Off", turn back on and IMS crashing again but the phone rings (something it was not doing previously after the IMS crash message).

Yesterday, ran the Software Repair Assistant (the guides for installing on Mac could use some updating).  Rejected the reload of backup.  Added back a skinny set of apps.  So far so good.  I traveled one time zone from home yesterday and no errors.

I know the Community thinks that the error must be related to native Samsung apps given that it appeared even in Safe Mode.  But, I have a hunch that it might be related to MaaS 360.  I am going to wait until next week before I reinstall that app.

I'll report back in a few weeks if all is good and close out the recommendation of Software Repair with a star.

Thanks.

rottyr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for this.  I had found this post and referred to it earlier in the thread.  It seemed to help, but only until I traveled again.  So far, the Software Repair Assistant with no reinstall of back-up is the only action that has provided an error free restart of the phone in a new time zone in the last 8 weeks.  Here's hoping!

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Do you have smart switch or Kies? Both of these program will make a full backup of your phone. You can make several backups on them and reinstall any backup that you want. Also both of these can update your phone with the latest software.