IMS Has Stopped Galaxy S7
rottyr
Enthusiast - Level 2

How do I prevent continual crashes of IMS?

I factory reset three weeks ago.  Painful, but I was unable to find a fix after rebooting, deleting apps, clearing caches, etc.  Everything worked fine until last night.  Now I am back to "IMS has stopped" popping up regularly.

Tags (1)
Re: IMS Has Stopped Galaxy S7
rottyr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have also started the phone in "safe mode".  Still getting the IMS Service has stopped

stef7
Master - Level 2

From the web:

Go into Mobile networks and turn on VoLTE

Try that.

rottyr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Step7 - Thank you.  I could not find the VoLTE option on my S7.  I suspect that it has been removed or renamed.

In the meantime, I followed the below path which I found in a Samsung post.  So far, so good, but I will revert back in a few days to confirm whether the solution stuck.  Please note that I could not find a step 2 menu option, so I am not sure that is necessary.

1. Clear the cache data and force stop the messaging application. How to clear cache and/or data for an app?

2. Disable Messages Back-up in your settings

3. Clear the cache partition of your device. How To: Clear the Cache Partition

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

rottyr, we always want to ensure that you're able to enjoy the best experience on your device. We appreciate your efforts thus far. We'd like to help gain some clarification to make sure this gets fixed once and for all.

On the Factory Reset that took place three weeks ago, did you happen to turn off the Auto Restore option? http://vz.to/2yTPeEs

Also, may we ask if you've had a chance to try the Software Repair Assistant? http://vz.to/2yQ3Wu4

SamanthaT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
rottyr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I had Auto Restore turned off.

I did not try software repair assistant.  I will try that now.

I had tried a) updating all apps and b) deleting all external apps.  The problem appears to be resident in the Samsung Messaging App since the crash happens even when in Safe Mode. 

Yesterday, the crashing started again after a good day.  Having noticed that the problem also seemed correlated to some travel, I turned the phone off before taking a plane flight.  It had been fully operational since the cache clearance of the day before (see above).  When I turned the phone back on in my destination city I got an immediate crash. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

rottyr, thanks so much for sharing those additional details. We're glad to hear that the Auto Restore was turned off during the Factory Reset. May we ask if you had noticed any other changes before the crash presented itself once again? Any new applications, application updates, etc.?

Please keep us posted on how things are coming along after the Software Repair Assistant goes through.

SamanthaT_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
rottyr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had carefully added back a limited number of apps.  Everything worked fine for two weeks.  Then, bang.  I can't be sure if it was related to travel.  I will have to keep better notes.  But nothing else changed with the phone. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It sounds like you have covered the process correctly. The thing that stands out is the timing of 2 weeks for the return. Generally, software issues would show themselves immediately after and not really delay. You mentioned the issue coming back after adding your applications right? Is that the 2 week figure that you shared with us? That would bring us back to the applications.

BobbyN_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
rottyr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Confirming that the issues restarted two weeks after the last app was reloaded.  I know.  Very strange and hard to diagnose.  The fact that the issues a) reappeared when I started to travel (prior they appeared when not traveling) and b) continued when I did a restart in Safe Mode suggests that they are not related to downloaded apps but the Samsung native apps in some relation to network configuration. 

So, my conclusion is that they are not related to third-party apps. 

I have not run the Software Repair.  The phone has been working correctly for a week now, so I am going to continue with it as is.  I have more travel coming up this week.  I will update this log periodically.  But as of now, the cache cleaning in Log Entry 3 seems to have done the trick.  At least I hope so.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and help.  If I have no further issues for a month, I will mark as "answered"