I need help understanding my battery usage
maya0630
Contributor - Level 3

My battery has been draining way faster since the JB upgrade. Where I could easily go from 7am to 11pm on a charge with moderate to heavy use prior to the upgrade, now I am lucky if I can make it through the work day with light to moderate use. Today, I have noticed that the OS is showing as the primary battery usage. That has never happened before, it would usually be my screen. My screen today shows 1h11mn of use, which normally would definitely place it first. Usually, the OS is way down the list. Could someone look at the screenshot and help me troubleshoot this?

0 Likes
Re: I need help understanding my battery usage
AZSALUKI
Legend

we need the screenshot. from what you describe though, it sounds like it may not be truly going to sleep when the phone's screen times out. just a guess, but if the OS is using more battery than anything then they may have pushed this update with a poor kernel, which couldn't prevent the phone from sleeping. this seems to be a pretty common issue with the JB update on verizon's gsiii so hopefully they will push another update soon to fix it.

0 Likes
maya0630
Contributor - Level 3

Sorry, I clicked enter too fast Smiley Happy

Here is the screenshot. Thank you.Screenshot_2012-12-28-15-07-27.PNG

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i really don't know what could be causing that, but it does seem pretty short for what WAS great battery life. my wife is a very light user so she hasn't noticed much, but she did say something the other day about having to charge it every day (she was getting 2 full days out of one charge). if you click on the screen, how much time was it on? if it's 2+ hours then this doesn't really seem bad, but if it's less than an hour or hour and a half, then it does seem like the JB update is crushing the battery.

0 Likes
maya0630
Contributor - Level 3

The screen was at 1h32mn when the battery hit 15% today and I put it on the charger. The part which is worrying me a little is the jump for the "Android system". I don't know exactly what it does, but it's usually way down in the list, with the Android OS and Media Server. I am trying to figure out what is causing it to jump to one of the primary positions.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

to me, it appears that it doesn't sleep, but i have no idea why? i'll check out our gsiii later and see if it has similar results.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I agreed that large percentage for the "Android System" is not normal for what I have seen on my phones.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
maya0630
Contributor - Level 3

I am enclosing a screenshot of the information under "Android System". I'm still very new at Android, so that infoScreenshot_2012-12-28-18-37-06.PNG does not mean much to me. I'm hoping it'll mean something to you guys. Thanks

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Go through your settings, I've heard some of them reverted to a different default that was causing excessive drain. Especially with the Smart Actions (? Not sure If that's what it is actually called).

maya0630
Contributor - Level 3

I just did, but nothing's changed.

0 Likes