I can't answer / pick up incoming calls...
jimmy409
Enthusiast - Level 1

This has happened twice now, both after updates.

The phone rings, shows the incoming number, and I slide to answer and it shows the number as connected, however the caller continues to hear ringing and it will not go to voicemail. It just rings on their end. If I slide left to ignore, it *will* send them to voicemail. I can still make outgoing calls.

The first time, I saw an Evernote update around the same time so I unistalled and reinstalled and the phone functioned fine. This time that did not work.

Here are all the steps I've tried:

- Turning off, removing the SIM, re-inserting and rebooting.

- Soft restart.

- Hard restart (off / volume down)

- Cache cleanout

- Rebooting in Safe Mode

- Turning Airplane Mode off and on

- Turning HD voice off and on

None of these has worked. please help.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I can't answer / pick up incoming calls...
jimmy409
Enthusiast - Level 1

Okay, I solved my own issue, but I'm leaving this solution up in case it helps other users. While I had tried removing the SIM and reinserting it, I didn't do anything else.

Then I remembered an old hack for bad electrical contacts.

Power down the phone, make sure the power is off! Using a SIM card removal tool or small pin/paperclip, open the SIM card tray. Here's what I did differently this time: remove the SIM card from it's slot and clean the back contacts with a pencil eraser. Reinsert into the tray and insert the phone. Power up.

After cleaning with the eraser (their was a noticeable film on the contacts) the phone was able to receive calls.

View solution in original post

jimmy409
Enthusiast - Level 1

Okay, I solved my own issue, but I'm leaving this solution up in case it helps other users. While I had tried removing the SIM and reinserting it, I didn't do anything else.

Then I remembered an old hack for bad electrical contacts.

Power down the phone, make sure the power is off! Using a SIM card removal tool or small pin/paperclip, open the SIM card tray. Here's what I did differently this time: remove the SIM card from it's slot and clean the back contacts with a pencil eraser. Reinsert into the tray and insert the phone. Power up.

After cleaning with the eraser (their was a noticeable film on the contacts) the phone was able to receive calls.

Fallline
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've had this issue on and off for 6 months. Verizon has no idea. They even sent me a new SIM card but still the same problem. Can't figure out a pattern. It just seems to be random. Sometimes the person tries calling me a second time and I can answer. Since it won't even go to voice mail I lose the contact. If I buy a new phone and it still happens I won't be very happy

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want to make sure that you have a working device at all times and I apologize that you are having trouble even after the sim was switched out. Do you have a case or screen protector on your phone? Has the operating software for both the device and all downloaded applications been updated? Is there any cosmetic damage to your device? Just to give you some insight on what a problem like this alludes to without having answers to these questions: something like this would suggest a touch screen/motherboard/software issue. This can also be a result of water damage, dropping your device, substance on your screen preventing the phone from understanding your request to accept the call, etc. We will be standing by to help!

NicholeK_VZW

0 Likes
Fallline
Enthusiast - Level 3

No damage to the phone. All updates have been done. I do not have a screen protector. When I swipe to answer the call it goes to the anwser screen but no one is there. It sits there with the red buttoin as if I could press it to hang up but when I press it nothing happens - I can't hang up. I have to wait until the caller hangs up. The person on the other end just gets ringing. Nothing obvious on my end. But here's an issue I have with all the solutions. If I don't answer a call the call is suppsoed to go to voicemail. If Verizon is continually sending the caller a ringing sound then Verizon thinks the call is not answered. If Verizon thinks the call is not answered why doesn't Verizon send the call to voicemail? Voicemail is not done on the phone. It's done at the Verizon computers. It seems like a software issue on Verizon's end or some kind of "handshake" failure between my phone and Verizon.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Fallline, let's go ahead and make sure that everything is acting normal on your device. What is the make and model of your device? Is the device fully up to date and what troublehsooting have you preformed?

JoseL_VZW

0 Likes
ctrmac3698
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same exact issue as well.  It is very frustrating.  No help from Verizon.  Please update if there has been any good answer to solve this problem. Thank you for your help.

Lauren33A
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had the same problem for months!   Went through a lot of trouble shooting with Verizon.  They finally replaced the phone.   Guess what? It's still happening!!!  

Samsung Galaxy S7

Fallline
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's why I'm reluctant to buy a new phone. I'd spend the money and all the time rebuilding the phone and then it might still happen. If only someone in the know would say "I know what that is and you need to get a new phone" then I'd get a phone but everyone at Verizon is guessing and I'm not going to go through the work and expense of a new phone on a guess.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for asking ctrmac3698. It seems as though a handful of people here are experiencing the same issue, but what we really need to know is the make and model of the device? I saw a couple of people have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and others didn't answer that important question. We are here for your support but just need your help by providing more information. In the meantime, please use this self-guided troubleshooting link that will allow you to input all makes and models of phones, and it will walk you through the steps needed to correct the issue: http://spr.ly/6602Ewaey. TinaN_VZW

0 Likes