I can't access mobile data while on calls anymore
DoctaMario
Enthusiast - Level 1

Galaxy S7 Edge. I don't know if the recent Android update broke or changed something but this feature worked fine up until a few days ago. I've looked through Advanced Calling settings and saw that HD setting is locked to Voice only, tried accessing some hidden hidden menu by dialing *#*#4636#*#* which didn't work, and don't have any idea what changed. I've tried rebooting the phone too. I use this feature often and am annoyed that it worked perfectly since I got the phone and now it doesn't.

Re: I can't access mobile data while on calls anymore
Ryanbigbed
Enthusiast - Level 3

It appears the most recent OTA updates from Verizon broke this capability. Happened to my wifes s7, sons s7 edge, and my lgv20 all updated between May 1 and May 5. So it is not a handset manufacturer issue..it is Android or Verizon. I spent time on phone with Verizon tech tonight and they opened a ticket. We shall see how fast they respond...this kills video calling and live traffic updates while on the phone among other things. Stuff I use alot.

Shaun8512
Enthusiast - Level 1

Pretty simple fix for me. First make sure you have advanced calling enabled. Second, go to mobile data and see if your network changed to global. If so, change it back to LTE CDMA, then reboot the phone. This should solve the problem.

Ryanbigbed
Enthusiast - Level 3

Nope..did not work on LGV20 at least.  I can get this kind of limited functionality on Sprint for less money...

0 Likes
Shaun8512
Enthusiast - Level 1

My data actually was not working as I has thought either. Wi-Fi picked up.

However, there is a solution.

My Advanced Calling was turned on, but it was grayed out and I could not

turn it off. Also the option for HD Calling was selected but I needed the

HD Video and Calls selected.

So, I called into tech support for Verizon and they ran a few preliminary

tests and confirmed it should have been working. After a few more tests,

they determined it was the Advanced Calling feature that was causing my

troubles. They manually removed the feature from my phone and reset the

service. After shutting down my phone and turning it back on, it

reinstalled and allowed me to activate Advanced Calling and everything is

working properly now. It appears my software update caused the issue. If

you cannot get it to work, I would recommend calling technical support

at 1-800-922-0204, and they will probably remove the feature and assist you

with reinstalling this as they did with me.

Ryanbigbed
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yesterday I has called tech support and they had gone through the debug steps as far as teh account features and phine settings - we power cycled miultilpe times modifying settings and then "refreshing" things (whatever that means). I was talking to them on my LGV20, while we were working with my sons S7 edge - both with the same problem (as well as my wifes S7). so not a device issue.  One difference was that on the V20, I could turn the Advanced Caling on and off, and could chooses HD calls and video or calls only (although none of this made ant difference). On the S7 Edge, it showed the fearture with the slider in the on positin but I could not moce it and it was greyed (not green/blue), and it was locked in the HD calls only choice. Earlier today I was still having the same problem on my LGV20. I explicitly checked for it, and also had tried what Shaun8512 suggested with no change resulting. Then magically later AM, it started working. I had not changed anything, had not rebotted, etc. I called my son in the afternoon and he answered on that S7 edge  and he said the 4G stayed on instead of dropping to teh 1x like it had been, and he was able to use data (internet) now as it should have been. He also had not done anything to change or fix this. There were no software updates/patches pushed to the phones today. So apparently Verizon did something on their network side or in the background to my account, to fix the problem.  I am still awaiting the text updates and callback that they promised I would get in 72 hours or less (it has only been about 24 hours) - but it does seem they found a fix - at least for me. Good luck to all of you.

0 Likes
Ryanbigbed
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks - I just replied to the the original post - but is sounds like we both had the same issues and it is fixed. And it was the updates that caused it. Interesting though is that I did not have to remove or reinstall anything on any handsets in the end - they just fixed it somehow - three different handset models (2 different vendors).

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DoctaMario, we want to make sure that your issue is properly resolved. Are you still experiencing this issue at this time? If so, have you tried seeing if you are properly connected to a data connection when trying to use data?

HarleyE_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ryanbigred,

We are certainly happy to see that your troubles have been resolved. Please let us know if you ever need anything in the future. We are happy to help you in any way we can.

NicoleT_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my  response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my  response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in  advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Ryanbigbed
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually, the problem has resurfaced but in a more limited form - no 4G access inside my home now, weak signal as I go outside. Never had this problem before in pat 3-4 years. So something up with the towers. Verizon tech verified I am not in a marginal service area and within 2 nikes of tower with no obstructions Trouble ticket still open - 8 days and counting  - have talked to Verizon tech support three ties including today. They say it is being worked on.