How to set up a used Siii
BevM
Enthusiast - Level 1

A friend gave me her Siii when she went back to her iPhone.  I have a DroidX, and I'd like to switch to the Siii, but I don't want to make any mistakes, and without losing my unlimited data plan or getting involved with a new contract.

Do I need to do a factory reset on her phone before activating it on my account?  Is there any way to get insurance on it?  Do I need some form of paperwork from her to convince Verizon that it is now mine?  Any help you can give me is much appreciated!

BevM

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

You technically don't have to do a factory reset, though you will have to in order to use your gmail sign in on the device.  Also, you shouldn't HAVE to have any sort of "proof" that the phone is now yours, though taking your friend down to a store with you will eleviate any concerns with the phone being stolen.  You will have to go down there anyway to get a new SIM card (that's tied to your account, no worries, they're free). 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

You technically don't have to do a factory reset, though you will have to in order to use your gmail sign in on the device.  Also, you shouldn't HAVE to have any sort of "proof" that the phone is now yours, though taking your friend down to a store with you will eleviate any concerns with the phone being stolen.  You will have to go down there anyway to get a new SIM card (that's tied to your account, no worries, they're free). 

0 Likes
Re: How to set up a used Siii
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

demmo86rt wrote:

The SIM cards are free at corporate stores.  Third party retailers might be a different story.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ann154 wrote:

demmo86rt wrote:

The SIM cards are free at corporate stores.  Third party retailers might be a different story.

They also are free if you call Customer Service, although they'll charge you $6.99 for FedEx shipping.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Actually, if you call to request a secure SIM card in order to be able to use ISIS, they do not charge for FedEx shipping. At least that was the case in my experience. It was 2-day FedEx shipping, though.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I asked yesterday about getting a new SIM card through Chat and was told it would be $6.99 FedEx shipping charge.  I declined and said I'd head to the local Corporate store.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

That may be the case for a regular SIM card but as I said, this was for the new secure SIM card required to access ISIS and is not currently available in Verizon stores in locations other than Austin, TX and Salt Lake City, UT.

While not publicized, you can use ISIS outside of these locations however the merchants available is somewhat limited as it must be capable of contactless payment.

I mentioned this option since the Samsung Galaxy S3 is one of the few Verizon phones which can actually use the Secure SIM card to access ISIS.

0 Likes
BevM
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks to everybody for the replies, I called Cust Serv and they verified a number in the phone to determine that it isn't stolen, and had me do a factory reset (on account of my gmail account, as someone said.)  I may be able to use the same SIM card, I'll know when I try to activate it, but I'm waiting until I'm comfortable I have my DroidX all backed up first.  If I need a SIM, I'll wait until I'm near a store to get it.  Thanks!

0 Likes