Re: How to downgrade from Pie?
scotty2541
Enthusiast - Level 2

I USB plug my Kyocera DuraPro 2 into a Windows 7 Laptop, and/or a Windows 10 desktop. I have other PCs I can test with, but that's not the problem.

The phone asks if I want to grant permission. I tap "Allow".

The device is in my Windows File Explorer as expected. I open /DCIM. I try to copy a file (in or out). Maybe it works, maybe the Windows file explorer locks up.

If I get that far, I open a subfolder to browse. 100% of the time it locks up the Windows file explorer by now.

I have managed to move maybe 10 files if I act fast.

The address bar of the Windows file explorer starts a little "progress fill" then never completes. I have done this dozens of times. I have also disabled the device, and re-enabled it, or even un-installed it and reinstalled it.

(The phones USB MSC class driver is clearly broken)

This PIE upgrade is garbage. Apart for rearranged screen (which many have complained about), and features now being gone (which I am upset about losing), functionality is outright BROKEN.

I have spend more time on chats, calls to support, this forum, etc... dealing with the problems of this phone than I have actually being able to use it.

The solution I've been offered for this (and every other compliant) is to factory reset. But I now refuse to do that FOR THE THIRD TIME SINCE I GOT THIS PHONE 6 MONTHS AGO. Factory resets have not worked, but create a massive amount of work for me to reset apps, credentials, networks (and the lost saved app data or game levels).

The other solution I'm being told is to warranty replace the device. To take a functioning piece of hardware that has bad software, and replace it with identical hardware running bad software... And expect different results???!!

I hope this gives you the information you are looking for.

(And don't get me started on other apps that suddenly DON'T work since this upgrade was pushed on me)

-Scott

Annoyed user that I am the product being sold to Google, Android, Kyocera, etc. When I was the one who paid for the device.
0 Likes
scotty2541
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks to your EMPTY PROMISES AND LIES...  I now have to spend DAYS resetting all my apps, credentials, settings...   Because I was PROMISED using the "verizon backup" would save all of it.

LIE!!

I am no longer going to be DUMB enough to fall for your telling me "Just Factory Reset...  every thing will be fine".

Annoyed user that I am the product being sold to Google, Android, Kyocera, etc. When I was the one who paid for the device.
0 Likes
scotty2541
Enthusiast - Level 2

And... by the way, it didn't fix the defects.

-Scott

0 Likes
scotty2541
Enthusiast - Level 2

LauraF,

Now everyone goes silent?? Both your Verizon and the manufacturer??

This is valuable evidence of customer service.  Poor customer service.

Before I go down the rabbit hole of RE-INSTALLING EVERYTHING, I want a fix.

Because I'm confident I'll be told "Here, do this, and then do ANOTHER factory reset".

-Scott

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

scotty2541, assistance is still here as we want you to love your device and have the ability to move your pictures as you see fit. To set proper expectations, this is the Verizon Wireless device forum where many users come to receive assistance from the community. As your wireless provider, we do monitor this site but because the main focus is to allow the community to help with options, we do not respond immediately via this platform. We are here to help and very happy to do so but if you are in need of more immediate assistance, we can be reached via our social media platform via Facebook and Twitter. For the steps to move your pictures from your device to the computer, please see the link provided and keep us posted on your progress.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-221392/

Lastly, software updates are meant to enhance the phone. I regret to hear you feel differently. As your wireless provider, we cannot assist with the downgrading or tampering of software as the newest software is designed to keep the phone working in its best performance that is made to work with our network. You do have the option to contact the Manufacturer for additional assistance for the previous software patch. I do hope this helps. https://global.kyocera.com/inquiry/

NatashaR_VZW

0 Likes
scotty2541
Enthusiast - Level 2

NatashaR

"... contact the Manufacturer for additional assistance " Been there... done that.

Kyocera just tells me the same brain dead, catch-all, get the customer off our back, instruction of performing a Factory Reset.  When I did it, and told them that did not fix the bug, they went silent.

Your chat service is useless.  They "promised" me I will not lose my app data such as credentials, app settings, game levels, etc...  (his words).  And told me to sign up for the "cloud" service to store it.  Of course I did sign up.  And of course I did lose the app data.  (The intention was to just sell me more stuff, rather than fix my problem??)

As for your statement "For the steps to move your pictures ..."  That is EXACTLY what DOESN'T work.  The USB MSC driver in the phone is bug ridden.  If a REAL technical person would talk to me, not someone who can only read from a script, I would explain in detail.

If you want me to also complain about the device, serivce, customer support on Facebook, I will do that as well.

-scott

0 Likes
chadly10
Enthusiast - Level 2

We are in the same boat as most on this. With the Pie update it has thrown several apps into a state they can't recover from. We use PlayStation Vue and when we login it renders everything in the application useless. We've uninstalled/reinstalled but no success.  I even went back four versions where I KNOW it worked but it didn't help. I know that its the new Verizon Update that caused this so it needs to be addressed.

I work in a software application business and when Windows is updated then our application stops working the first this is to revert the application to see if that helps.. which very rarely does. The next step is to downgrade Windows to see that helps which if that proves worthy then its the update. There must be a revert option to attempt this troubleshooting.  Or if there is a way, since its your build we're running, to troubleshoot the issue application that would be ideal.

A concerned end user! 

0 Likes
scotty2541
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dear chadly10,

Good luck.

They told me this is not a "support" forum.  This is just monitored by Verizon, and maybe you'll find one who cares enough to help.  That hasn't occurred in this case.

Verizon also told me they it's the manufacturer that pushes these updateds.  That is a lie.  I talked directly to my manufacturer, and was told they take the updated Android build from Google, build it for the phone, add the verizon apps which Verizon wrote, and deliver it to Verizon.  Then Verizon pushes it down on us.

I also write applications, Windows and Linux...  I've done a couple very small Andoid apps.  I discovered that a function I was using got locked down by some form of security when it went to the next OS (I think it was 7).  No warning, no nuthin'.  Just suddenly someone at Google decided that something wasn't secure enough and locked it down tighter, breaking my app.  (But that's not relavent to this problem)

Even the manufacturer put me on hold for a while, then came back and said there is no way to roll back.  I assume they mean without a boatload of dev tools like ADB and bootstrap apps, which would be out of reach for most consumers.  Because I'm sure they still have all the previous images.  But they probably have a specialized flash tool which it company confidential.

I'd tell you to talk to their tech support, but the only intelliegnce they have is "Do a factory reset" (i.e. go away for a day or two, we don't want to deal with it)  "After we get tired of telling you that, we will swap out your device."

The only thing I can suggest:  Contact your device manufacturer.

Sorry.

Scott

0 Likes
scotty2541
Enthusiast - Level 2

(Quick comment on the manufacturer, after I re-read my earlier post... they were silent until I raised some loud complaints.  now they have a case open for me)

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate your efforts thus far and are disappointed to learn you've been experiencing issues with certain apps since the update, Chadly10. Once an update is completed on the phone, you would not be able to go back to a previous software version. We would recommend reaching out to the app developer to ensure the app is compatible with your device software.  

DanielleR_VZW

0 Likes