How to disable the 30 seconds of CDROM installer when connecting via USB?
MBixby

A few days ago my wife and I acquired two Samsung Galaxy S3 phones as our first smart phones.  When I connect either phone to any of the three different Windows 7 computers I have tried, the phone mounts as a virtual CDROM containing a Verizon software installer.  After 30 seconds elapse, it switches to a portable device (phone) and I can see the folders and files on the phone that I want to access via USB.

Having to wait for that 30 seconds of CDROM phase is super-annoying.  Is there any way I can disable that stupid CDROM behavior and have the phone directly mount as a phone?

Somebody else's description of this same problem is here:

<< Link removed to comply with >>

Like the person in that forum post, I have disabled the CDROM in Windows Device Manager.  Windows no longer pops open an autorun dialog, but the CDROM is present and will stay connected for 30 seconds.  From the phone side I can display the notifications, tap into the USB connection notification (it says the phone is connected as an "installer"), and then select Media Device or Camera to force the phone out of CDROM mode, but that is not a persistent choice and I have to do it every time I don't want to wait for the 30 seconds to elapse.  It's annoying.

General googling turns up various discussion about this, but the solutions all assume ...  a road I want to go down at this time.

Thanks...

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Re: How to disable the 30 seconds of CDROM installer when connecting via USB?
joggy
Enthusiast - Level 2

You might try holding down shift when connecting to the PC. That won't solve your default connect option issue, but may stop the autoplay check for the device.

A better solution might be to simply use an app like WiFi File Explorer or AirDroid, both available in Play. This eliminates the USB piece and once you get accustom to it is generally much easier than how you are trying to manage your files.

0 Likes
nbardach

<Duplicate post deleted for crossposting violations per the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.>

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why restore it when it exists in

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
nbardach

>Discussing Moderation on this board is a violation of the VZW ToS<

0 Likes