How do I get the weather channel on my home screen?
videograndpa
Enthusiast - Level 3

My Samsung S5 is only a month old.  I want to replace the accuweather app with the weather channel app on the top half of the home screen.  (accuweather always has the wrong temperature)

I have the weather channel app.  How do I make that change?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: weather channel on home screen
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Long-press the Accuweather widget on the home screen and drag it up to the Trash can to remove it.  Then tap the empty space on the home screen left by removing the widget, long-press the screen, tap Widgets, slide over to The Weather Channel widget, use the arrow in the upper right-hand corner of The Weather Channel widget to expand your choices, then long-press the widget you want to use and drag it to the desired location on the home screen.

View solution in original post

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Long-press the Accuweather widget on the home screen and drag it up to the Trash can to remove it.  Then tap the empty space on the home screen left by removing the widget, long-press the screen, tap Widgets, slide over to The Weather Channel widget, use the arrow in the upper right-hand corner of The Weather Channel widget to expand your choices, then long-press the widget you want to use and drag it to the desired location on the home screen.

B33
Legend

Just as suggestion:  If your in an area prone to bad storms PYKL3 Radar has a Great app that shows many Variants of Doppler Radar,  I use it along with the app you mentioned and my Local TV station radar.. they have this app in a Free or Light Version..

Here is the Link for this App.  PYKL3 Radar (USA NEXRAD/TDWR) - Android Apps on Google Play

0 Likes
videograndpa
Enthusiast - Level 3

My home screen has three sections.  The top section is almost 1/2 of the screen.  That used to be the accuweather display - not a widget but the forcast. I was able to remove that.  Then in the center of the screen is a very narrow (flat) google search bar.  Then the botton section of the screen has 9 app widgets and the "apps" widget.

After I removed accuweather from the top section, I was able to get the weather channel widget moved into that section but it is just a widget.  I have to press it to get the weather.  The weather won't stay open in that section after I leave it.  Is there any way I can make it stay open like the accuweather was?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

What you're referring to as the 'top section' showing a forecast is a weather widget.     You can put the widgets (and apps) anywhere on a panel and on any panel that you want, as long as there is room (and some can be resized).

It sounds like you moved The Weather Channel app onto your home screen ... you want to move the widget using the instructions in the earlier post.

Widgets are different than apps; this explanation may help:

Cool Widgets for Android Smartphones | Weather Widget | TweetDeck

0 Likes
videograndpa
Enthusiast - Level 3

Maybe I don't know the definitions of "widget" and "app".  What I have is the little square icon that says "weather channel".  I have to press it to open it up.  Is that the widget or the app?

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I just edited my response as you were asking your question ...

Apps and widgets are different; the link in the earlier post may help.  You've added the app to your home screen ... you want to add the widget.  The process for adding widgets is different than for adding apps (confusing, I know).  Follow the steps in the earlier post and it should work, but post back if it doesn't.

0 Likes
videograndpa
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK

I think I got it.

Thanks for the help

B33
Legend

After 5 years of smartphone use and 5 phones even this seasoned phone user has a fun time getting apps and widgets strait but in the end I enjoy all that I have.. b

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome.

0 Likes