How do I get rid of "miscellaneous files?"
DaveEEE
Enthusiast - Level 2

My device has more than 6 GB of "Miscellaneous files" only 100 MB of which are accountable to an app.  How do I get rid of these files?  My OTA Lollipop update won't proceed because of insufficient space.  Do I need to factory reset?  If so, how?

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Orphan files, factory reset
Snn5
Legend

Try a cache clear first:

Turn off phone

Remove the battery and reinsert.

Hold down the Home and Volume Up keys

Press and hold the Power button while still holding the other keys.

As soon as you see the Samsung logo, release all keys/buttons.

Press on the Volume Down to scroll down to Wipe Cache Partition.

Press the Power button to select it.

Press the Volume down button to highlight "Yes" and press the Power Button to select it.

Wait for a few minutes for the phone to clear the data.

Then press the Power button to select reboot system now.

Wait for your phone to reboot.

You can also try to go through your file manager app and navigate to folders (Use ex file explorer from app store for more options) or try to go to your Storage screen in the phone's main settings and delete old files.  You might also use CCleaner for Android or similar.

If you have to Factory Reset:

Once you get the noticifcation that the update is available or has already downloaded, BUT has yet to install:

1. 1.  Stay plugged into charger for the entire process
  2. 2.  Charge to 100% and back up music, photos, files etc...contacts should be saved to Google Account and use Google Drive or Google Photos to back up with as well and apps are saved in a list in your My Apps screen in the Play Store app and online using the desktop page.
  3. 3.  DISABLE Google backup and restore of apps and app data in your Backup and Reset tab in your phone's main settings screen.
  4. 4.  Factory Reset the phone
  5. 5.  Download and/or Install update from notification bar (may have to manuallt check for update in About Phone/System Update to kickstart it) at next boot/power on after skipping set up if possible
  6. 6.  Phone will reboot after installation.  Factory reset one more time as soon as possible before setting up the phone (you may have to press the back button a few times to escape the set up screen, or you may be able to skip it.  Just go back to the Backup and Reset tab and FDR again.
  7. 7.  Unplug from charger at 100% recharged
  8. 8.  Set up your phone however you like to include apps from your My Apps screen in either the Play Store App or from the PC webpage version
  9. 9.  Leave phone on until it powers off
  10. 10.  Leave off and recharge to 100%

This is my usual process and I have had no issues.

The reasons for disabling app data is due to the fact that DAVLIK is now ART and the Android Optimization process might not go as planned if you just slap the new OS over the old OS.  Also, when you go back to the Play Store to download apps, they will be the correct version this time for this OS. 

View solution in original post

Snn5
Legend

Try a cache clear first:

Turn off phone

Remove the battery and reinsert.

Hold down the Home and Volume Up keys

Press and hold the Power button while still holding the other keys.

As soon as you see the Samsung logo, release all keys/buttons.

Press on the Volume Down to scroll down to Wipe Cache Partition.

Press the Power button to select it.

Press the Volume down button to highlight "Yes" and press the Power Button to select it.

Wait for a few minutes for the phone to clear the data.

Then press the Power button to select reboot system now.

Wait for your phone to reboot.

You can also try to go through your file manager app and navigate to folders (Use ex file explorer from app store for more options) or try to go to your Storage screen in the phone's main settings and delete old files.  You might also use CCleaner for Android or similar.

If you have to Factory Reset:

Once you get the noticifcation that the update is available or has already downloaded, BUT has yet to install:

1. 1.  Stay plugged into charger for the entire process
  2. 2.  Charge to 100% and back up music, photos, files etc...contacts should be saved to Google Account and use Google Drive or Google Photos to back up with as well and apps are saved in a list in your My Apps screen in the Play Store app and online using the desktop page.
  3. 3.  DISABLE Google backup and restore of apps and app data in your Backup and Reset tab in your phone's main settings screen.
  4. 4.  Factory Reset the phone
  5. 5.  Download and/or Install update from notification bar (may have to manuallt check for update in About Phone/System Update to kickstart it) at next boot/power on after skipping set up if possible
  6. 6.  Phone will reboot after installation.  Factory reset one more time as soon as possible before setting up the phone (you may have to press the back button a few times to escape the set up screen, or you may be able to skip it.  Just go back to the Backup and Reset tab and FDR again.
  7. 7.  Unplug from charger at 100% recharged
  8. 8.  Set up your phone however you like to include apps from your My Apps screen in either the Play Store App or from the PC webpage version
  9. 9.  Leave phone on until it powers off
  10. 10.  Leave off and recharge to 100%

This is my usual process and I have had no issues.

The reasons for disabling app data is due to the fact that DAVLIK is now ART and the Android Optimization process might not go as planned if you just slap the new OS over the old OS.  Also, when you go back to the Play Store to download apps, they will be the correct version this time for this OS. 

DaveEEE
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow.  Lots of information.

I didn't know I could save a list of apps in Play Store I'll look into that.

I use CM Cleaner  (Clean Master)

In step 4 of the Factory Reset list you just say to "Factory Reset the phone".  How do I do that?

Thanks. Snn5

Dave EEE

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Go to the phones main settings, (where you see wifi, bluetooth, display, notifications, and all the other tabs) and select the tab for Backup and Reset.

DaveEEE
Enthusiast - Level 2

I see that.

Thanks again.

DaveEEE
Enthusiast - Level 2

It took some time but my phone is back in tip top shape.  Thanks for your help @Snn5.  That huge chunk of files about 6 GB in size still shows up but it doesn't seem to be counted in the total usage of the storage.  That works for me. 

BTW I have experienced no glitches (yet) with lollipop.

Dave EEE

Snn5
Legend

Excellent!

0 Likes