How do I get phone numbers back in the right format?
jjstephens

I recently traveled to Brazil. My phone was in airplane mode the entire time I was in Brazil. Since returning to the US all phone numbers display in Brazilian format-- (XX) XXXX-XXXX. The phone sometimes does not recognize incoming phone numbers from people in my contact list.

How do I change the default format back to US style (XXX-XXX-XXXX)?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Phone number format
csnj80
Enthusiast - Level 3

Try shutting the phone off, removing the SIM Card, waiting about a minute, then putting the SIM Card back in and turning the phone back on.  I was having an issue a while back where my S4 would switch to Global Mode when it was unable to get a network signal and when I called tech support to they recommended this and it fixed my phone to receive calls and data correctly again.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is the phone in CDMA/LTE mode instead of global mode? Do you have the Verizon Wireless SIM card in the phone?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jjstephens

I really don't know. I just got the phone a short time ago and have been so busy that I haven't had much time to get acquainted with it.

How would I check which mode it's it?

I presume the Verizon SIM care is in place--I have not removed it.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is under the mobile network settings in the phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jjstephens

Thanks. It is in CDMA/LTE mode.

My understanding is that global mode is the default. Why would it be in CDMA/LTE? I did not change it. Might an app I installed have changed it?

All of that said, which mode should it be in?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jjstephens,

That's a great question and we want your phone to register all calls in the correct format. The netwotk mode CDMA/LTE is the correct mode when you are in the u.S. and should not affect any call features. Go to Settings>Call>Current Country; make sure this is set to the correct country and assisted dialing off.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jjstephens

The country is US and assisted dialing is off. What else can I check?

0 Likes
csnj80
Enthusiast - Level 3

Try shutting the phone off, removing the SIM Card, waiting about a minute, then putting the SIM Card back in and turning the phone back on.  I was having an issue a while back where my S4 would switch to Global Mode when it was unable to get a network signal and when I called tech support to they recommended this and it fixed my phone to receive calls and data correctly again.

0 Likes
jjstephens

That's a great idea . . . and that is usually the first thing I do when I have any kind of electronics issue. Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner!

Unfortunately, it didn't work. Phone numbers--even numbers that are stored in my contact list in US format--are still showing up in my call list in Brazilian format. Incoming calls also show up in Brazilian format.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Jjstephens,

Oh no! I know how frustrating it can be to have the settings on your device not working. Is the language on your device set to English?

• Swipe down from the top of the screen to access the notification tray.
  • Tap the settings gear icon in the top-right.
  • Tap the My Device tab at the top.
  • Tap Language and input under the Input and control subheading near the bottom.
  • Tap Language at the very top.
  • Tap the language you’d like to switch to (English)

You can also try removing/inserting the sim card from the device http://vz.to/HhnviB .

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes