How do I get a software update to work on my device?
K_WON

I had a software update notification on my Mac for my Samsung Galaxy S4 so I used the Verizon Software Upgrade Assistant to do so. It mentioned taking at least 30-90 minutes to complete the upgrade, however, the status bar reached 95% and stayed that way for the next 3 hours. I tried to close out of the Software Upgrade Assistant but it wouldn't close and my phone had a warning not to disconnect. My daughter instead disconnected my phone from my computer and I received the following "Software Update Failed" message on my phone screen. It says it wasn't a successful update and to use the Verizon Software Repair Assistant. When I reconnect my phone to my Mac and try to use the Verizon Wireless Software program, it closes unexpectedly and will not reopen no matter how many times I try. When I disconnect my phone from my computer, the program opens and I can clearly see that it says "Repair Galaxy S4" but it automatically closes again when I reconnect my phone. I don't even care about the software update anymore -- I just want to be able to use my phone again so I can back up what I have.

I do remember seeing on my phone itself that I needed more storage space but didn't remember about that when I actually tried to upgrade my phone. Do you think that may be causing the problem? Any idea how to fix this or just get my phone back again? OR how to get the stupid Verizon Wireless Repair Assistant to repair my actual phone? Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Galaxy S4 Software Update Failed -- Verizon Wireless Repair Assistant won't fix it
Snn5
Legend

You might try to clear the system cache, that might release just enough memory:

Turn off phone

Remove the battery and reinsert.

Hold down the Home and Volume Up keys

Press and hold the Power button while still holding the other keys.

As soon as you see the Samsung logo, release all keys/buttons.

Press on the Volume Down to scroll down to Wipe Cache Partition.

Press the Power button to select it.

Press the Volume down button to highlight "Yes" and press the Power Button to select it.

Wait for a few minutes for the phone to clear the data.

Then press the Power button to select reboot system now.

Wait for your phone to reboot.

If that doesn't work, try another computer with the software assistant installed.

If you can backup anything (you dont say the phone is un-usable) do so and factory reset the phone.

If that doesn't work, perhaps you still have an extended warranty and can get a replacement because it sounds like the phone may be potentially corrupted.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S4 Software Update Failed -- Verizon Wireless Repair Assistant won't fix it
Snn5
Legend

You might try to clear the system cache, that might release just enough memory:

Turn off phone

Remove the battery and reinsert.

Hold down the Home and Volume Up keys

Press and hold the Power button while still holding the other keys.

As soon as you see the Samsung logo, release all keys/buttons.

Press on the Volume Down to scroll down to Wipe Cache Partition.

Press the Power button to select it.

Press the Volume down button to highlight "Yes" and press the Power Button to select it.

Wait for a few minutes for the phone to clear the data.

Then press the Power button to select reboot system now.

Wait for your phone to reboot.

If that doesn't work, try another computer with the software assistant installed.

If you can backup anything (you dont say the phone is un-usable) do so and factory reset the phone.

If that doesn't work, perhaps you still have an extended warranty and can get a replacement because it sounds like the phone may be potentially corrupted.

0 Likes