How do I disable backup assistant?
GetAmped
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a shiny new Samsung Galaxy S III and when I set up my contacts, I added them as "Phone" entries with the expectation that the Backup Assistant Plus app would allow me to back them up. Except that it doesn't and, from what I've seen online, it is a miserable piece of junk that simply doesn't work for many people.

Soooo....

I sent all my contacts as a big V-card to my Gmail account, sorted things out in Gmail, unjoined them all on the phone, and deleted the Phone entries. Now I only have Gmail contact entries and they synch with no issues.

My only question now is, how do I disable/stop Backup Assistant Plus so that it doesn't constantly give me notifications about how incapable it is? I've tried clearing it's data and forcing it to stop. But it comes back from the dead, like a demonic zombie! It appears the only thing the app can do is resurrect it itself for the sole purpose of notifying me that it will fail to do anything useful.

Any and all help with this issue is greatly appreciated.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Backup Assistant Plus simply doesn't work, how do I disable it?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ensure that the sync on Backup Assistant is turned off; clear cache/data on all Backup Assistant apps, then force stop them.  You can't uninstall them, but you can disable them since you're running JB.  Also be sure to force stop Sync Service and disable it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@GetAmped, you may disable Backup Assistant in Settings>Manage Applications>tap Backup Assistance>tap Uninstall or Clear Data. I apologize for any inconvenience this Backup Assistant feature may have caused you. ^LH

0 Likes
greblaws
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been trying to disable Backup Assistant Plus since it is a BATTERY and PERFORMANCE HOG!  I have a lowly Droid3, and it has been really causing issues.

Your instructions above DO NOT WORK, under Manage Applications I get "Uninstall updates" - I cannot uninstall it. It is a "system application" and I am locked out of that control.  GRRRR.  Clear data does not do anything for performance.

Even when on wifi, this app's backup of data is slower than TAR in January.  Biggest issue is the

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

greblaws wrote:

I have been trying to disable Backup Assistant Plus since it is a BATTERY and PERFORMANCE HOG!  I have a lowly Droid3, and it has been really causing issues.

Your instructions above DO NOT WORK, under Manage Applications I get "Uninstall updates" - I cannot uninstall it. It is a "system application" and I am locked out of that control.  GRRRR.  Clear data does not do anything for performance.

Even when on wifi, this app's backup of data is slower than TAR in January.  Biggest issue is the

The reason the steps to uninstall the app didn't work is because the DROID 3 is running Gingerbread (Android 2.3).  The instructions above were for the Samsung Galaxy S III running either ICS (Android 4.0) or Jelly Bean (Android 4.1).

You can however "Clear the Data" for the app and from that point never use the app.  The phone will learn to not load it into the RAM in case you ever use it.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Kean
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am running Jelly Bean on a Maxx HD and have the same problem as greblaws.  The only option I have is to "Force stop" the app but it will continue to sync at the assigned time.  There is no update to uninstall in my case and I do not have a subscription to this service when I log in under the appropriate menu(s) to remove it on the website. 

Any ideas as to how to make this application top trying to sync would be greatly appreciated.  I don't want to use and I don;t want my personal contact info on Verizon's website.

EDIT: I know I have a Motorola Razr Maxx HD and this is the S3 sub-forum, but I found this thread in a search and just realized this.

R3last
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same issue with the same device. RAZR Maxx HD - I've tried clearing the data, I don't access the app, yet still this morning i got a backup failed message in my notifications bar. I don't have a subscription, I just want this to stop running.

demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Have you removed it from your synced accounts?  Press menu>settings, scroll down to accounts and sync and choose backup assistant and see if you can remove it from there.  It would also be a good idea to disable it from your My Verizon page.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ensure that the sync on Backup Assistant is turned off; clear cache/data on all Backup Assistant apps, then force stop them.  You can't uninstall them, but you can disable them since you're running JB.  Also be sure to force stop Sync Service and disable it.

0 Likes
R3last
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the info and yes I am Running JB 4.1.2. However there is no option to disable the app. I've tried clearing the data and making sure it's not on my accounts sync list but it shows up after every phone restart. At this point I realize i'm just stuck with it unless I root my device.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you saw the Clear Data button on the app toward the bottom, did you see Force Stop at the top left?  To the right of that it should say Disable.  If it says Uninstall Updates, click that, and once the updates are uninstalled, the button should say Disable.  And don't forget to force stop and disable Sync Service.

0 Likes