How can I do hands-free texting?
blucas1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Brand new to Android / GalaxyS7 (used iPhone before) ... and can't figure out ho to do hands-free texting like I could do with Siri on iPhone.  Any tips on what to do?  So far, this is the only thing in the transition that I'm unclear on ... otherwise, the Galaxy is great!

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: How can I do hands-free texting?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm so glad you are enjoying the S7. There isn't a settings for handsfree texting. It may be a 3rd party app that will allow you to use this feature. I would recommend checking the play store.
JosephL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
BabyGS
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here is a solution that will come close to what you need. You need to turn on the microphone feature on your Samsung keyboard. To do so, open your Messages app and compose a message to open the Samsung keyboard. Locate the emoticon (smiley face) symbol to the left of the space bar.  Press and hold (long press) the smiley symbol. A list of options will appear above it.  Choose the microphone symbol.  Now you can press that symbol to compose text messages by speaking, as long as your Google Voice Typing setting is turned on (which mine was by default).  If Google Voice Typing is not turned on, go to the Language and Input settings under your Settings app to find it and turn it on. This is as close to SIRI text messaging as I can get without installing a third party app.

BabyGS
Enthusiast - Level 2

I forgot to mention that you can also use S Voice (a pre-loaded app) to wake up your phone and compose a text message. Go into the settings of your S Voice app to set your wake up command (such as "Wake up, phone.")  Then you can use that command to wake up your phone.  You can tell it is "listening" when a blue bar appears at the bottom of your screen.  Then say a command, such as, "Text Mom, I'll be there in 10 minutes."

You can do the same thing using Google Now.  If you install the Google app widget on your home screen, you will see a microphone icon in a search bar.  You can say commands, such as, "OK, Google, text Mom, 'I'll be there in 10 minutes.'"  By default, the phrase "OK, Google" will be your wake up command when using Google Now. I'm not sure if you can change the wake up command or not, but saying, "OK, Google" eventually starts to feel natural, so you shouldn't need to change it.

I hope these suggestions help.

bearone21
Legend

might not work.....601 update removed the microphone on my note5.

but i'll try the s voice tip, thanks.

0 Likes
BabyGS
Enthusiast - Level 2

You can add the mic back. Follow my steps for the long press of the smiley symbol on your keyboard. That put mine back.  Good luck. 

0 Likes