How can I block the Safe Wi-fi popup when I drive past a hot spot
tbrophey
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I drive past a wi-fi hot spot I get a popup that demands I choose one of:

• Connect using Safe Wi-Fi or
  • Disconnect or
  • Connect at risk.

This popup obscures the Google Maps navigation screen, and the distraction while I am driving risks an accident. I NEVER want to see this popup! If I try to ignore the popup, it goes away after a while, but it doesn't return me to the navigation screen.

The technician my Verizon store set the "Wi-Fi notification" setting to Off, but that didn't help.

0 Likes
Re: How can I block the Safe Wi-fi popup when I drive past a hot spot
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which phone model do you have?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
tbrophey
Enthusiast - Level 2

Galaxy S8 (SM-G950U)

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Next to the Wi-Fi notification setting  there should also be a wifi pop-up setting. Try turning it off.

It is under the Wi-Fi advanced settings.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/PM/201808/20180824051150792/EB/VZW_G950U_G955U_EN_FINAL_18...

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tbrophey, we understand not wanting this pop-up especially while driving. We want you to stay safe at all times. I am sorry to learn that the step the store agent provided did not help. Ann154 has made an excellent suggestion, were you able to try the step she provided?

Tionna_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
tbrophey
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for trying to help, but that switch (and every other Wi-Fi advanced setting switch) was already OFF.

0 Likes
tbrophey
Enthusiast - Level 2

Perhaps it would help if I say: The problem started only a few weeks ago, and it seems to be worse when I am in heavy traffic (perhaps because going slower I spend more time near each hot spot) and that when I need navigation the most. This afternoon I got about a dozen popups in a 30 minute trip during rush hour.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could you be subscribed to the Verizon Safe Wi-Fi feature? Safe Wi Fi FAQs | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
tbrophey
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't think so:

• The popup seems to be a ploy to sell the Safe Wi-Fi service.
  • It doesn't appear on the MyVerizon Products and Apps list for my account.
  • The MyVerizon Manage Your Products page offers me a free 30 day trial on Safe Wi-Fi.

0 Likes
tbrophey
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think I have discovered the solution: Since Safe Wi-Fi is sold by Verizon's Security & Privacy app, that is probably where popup comes from. So I

1. went to Security & Privacy,
  2. went to Settings,
  3. selected Wi-Fi security, and
  4. switched Wi-Fi security OFF. The unhelpful explanation on the switch is "Identify unsecure Wi-Fi networks when I connect."
0 Likes