Help My S5 recently reset while my screen was locked and i had a ton of pictures on the phone's storage. I would love to retrieve that and find out how it is possible to reset a phone while the screen is locked.
joseescm
Enthusiast - Level 2

This past sunday My son got a hold of my phone and some how reset it while the phone was locked.  No he does not know how to unlock it.  As a result all my pictures and videos that were stored on the memory have been lost.  I am looking to see if there is a method to recover those.  I was able to check the SD card and all that was there seems to be recovered.  I just don't know how to do it with the phone itself.  Unfortunately i got the phone recently and therefore had not change the camera to use the SD card.   Please help

Re: Help My S5 recently reset while my screen was locked and i had a ton of pictures on the phone's storage. I would love to retrieve that and find out how it is possible to reset a phone while the screen is locked.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@joseescm

I can understand the desire to retain all of your memorable photos saved to your device memory!  I wish I could provide better news with regards to retaining those pictures.  However, if they weren't already saved to the SD memory card or previously backed up to your Verizon Cloud service, they would not be retrievable once the device is reset.  Here's a link with more information about the Verizon Cloud service for future reference: http://vz.to/1rMLVqn.

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: Help My S5 recently reset while my screen was locked and i had a ton of pictures on the phone's storage. I would love to retrieve that and find out how it is possible to reset a phone while the screen is locked.
joseescm
Enthusiast - Level 2

question still remains how the heck did my phone reset.  If my phone is locked how can it be reset.  

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unless you unchecked it (and it sounds like you didn't), there is a setting for the lock screen to automatically factory reset the phone if the password is entered incorrectly 10 times.  My guess is that your son pressed the unlock buttons enough times that the FDR occurred.

Jwrusher
Enthusiast - Level 2

This same thing happened to me this weekend.  When the phone is locked, if someone tries or attempts to try to unlock the phone it will reset to factory default wiping the phone and the SD memory card.

I carry my phone in my pocket.  Apparently I was active enough that the screen thought I was trying to unlock it. When I pulled it out of my pocket, it said it was erasing my SD Card.  I turned it off and back on.  Then it said the pass code had been tried 10 times and was resetting to factory default. No way to stop it.   I had years of data on my SD Card.  All gone.  Called Verizon Tech support.  They said oh yeah that happens.  They were no help at all.  The tech just wanted to tell me about his experiences with data loss.  I could give a flip about him. 

This is an android issue. Who ever thought this was a good idea should be beat with a stick.  I can always remotely erase my data from the phone if and when I need to.  Don't need some programmer making these decisions for me. It is Bull Crap!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

joseescm, this is a mystery to us too! It is possible that your device may have hard reset after several unsuccessful attempts to access your device with the wrong password. Did you have a chance to restore your device with Verizon Cloud http://vz.to/IsygQ6 and Gmail? 

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Jwrusher
Enthusiast - Level 2

This factory reset erases the SD Card.  If the Verizon experts aren't familiar with this then it needs to be escalated to the top!  I have never seen an update or factory reset that erases all of your SD Card.  Pics may be on the cloud, but all data saved from apps is gone.  All apps are gone.  I had an app for just about everything.  Now I look at my phone and Verizon service in confusion and disgust!

joseescm
Enthusiast - Level 2

where is this setting at?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

settings > lock screen, then scroll to the very bottom and uncheck where it says Auto Factory Reset.

joseescm
Enthusiast - Level 2

The weird thing is that my background image was able to be restored along with my favorites on chrome.  all other material was gone.  just seems very wrong that it would do that.  I agree with you Jwrusher  why give anyone that might have stolen my phone the ability to immediately have a brand new phone to use by wiping it.  lock it completely or something similar to where no one else can use it. sheeez.

0 Likes