Has anyone had issues activating their unlocked S7 with VZW?
RCM1965
Enthusiast - Level 2

The IMEI number shows as a "Flip-phone" in their system so the call center person had to fill out a form since the IMEI number didn't conform to VZW's numbering convention...I didn't have this issue with an unlocked Moto-X Pure.

At first they instructed to take it back to Best Buy - but I argued against that.  It's unlocked...and should work.

So now I sit and wait for the call...that they were able to activate it, or they can't...  Crazy.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Has anyone had issues activating their unlocked S7 with VZW?
RCM1965
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, the issue was a bad SIM.  The phone is working correctly now.  Thanks for asking.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I thought Samsung made the unlocked versions GSM only

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Samsung recently announced unlocked versions that are supposedly compatible with Verizon. Samsung announces unlocked Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge devices for the US

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is likely that Samsung hasn't provided the list IMEI numbers for these unlocked phones to Verizon much like the problem Google had earlier with the unbranded versions of the Nexus 6 and 9

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

It will work in GSM or CDMA mode however as someone pointed out the full IMEI list has not been updated fully. I have already tested one that was on Big Red and worked great!

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you use a previously activated SIM card?

RCM1965
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yep...it's a known working SIM card.  I also provided them with the numbers (can they be ANY smaller?) from the SIM.

It sure sounds like the IMEI numbers are from some previously used flip phones that are no longer in existence. Hard to believe with so many digits that they replicated a IMEI number.

0 Likes
RCM1965
Enthusiast - Level 2

In my eyes, the benefit of the unlocked version of the phone is: 1) you can buy it at Best Buy (and get a $75 gift card)   2) it doesn't have all of the VZW stuff on it  3) you can take it to another carrier if you so please.

0 Likes
RCM1965
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just to conclude this little story, I was transferred to a gentleman in technical support who was able to get the unlocked S7 activated!  His patience and knowledge is to be commended. 

So just stick with it if you run into this...you need to get to the right person. Once that happens you will be a happy customer.

He indicated that unlocked devices are new for VZW...and this experience confirms that.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I would be curious to know if wifi/advanced calling works on this device as it is not a "Verizon" phone but an "unlocked" version.

With the Google Nexus phones, 6P & 5X, they are "unlocked" phones but are unable to utilize Verizon's version of wifi calling even when using a "known working SIM card".

To give it a try, put the phone in airplane mode, turn on wifi and try to make a call. I would be interested to know how you make out.Smiley Happy

0 Likes