Re: Has Anyone Found A Mobile Hotspot Toggle Widget For The S5?
stef7
Master - Level 2
HotSpot Toggle Widget WiFi HotSpot
0 Likes
ffamzoo

Pretty certain this is a Verizon thing. My sales person told me one used to be available with the phone. I had the same S5 phone through T-Mobile and they provided a fully functional widget...on and off. I never had to go to the app store looking for one. Now, I've downloaded, I think, every widget and none work. I doesn't seem all that complicated a thing to do.

0 Likes
telveer
Contributor - Level 1

If you have unlimited data, you can not turn on wifi hotspot unless you pay a subscription fee. If you have a limited data package (like 2GB), then you dont have to pay extra for hotspot (but tethered data will eat into your allowance) ... first try turning on the hotspot using the long process (go to settings, more networks, mobile hotspot), if this process works, then widgets should also work.

0 Likes
sydeburns

HotSpot Switch app in Google play store verified functional on Verizon Galaxy S5.

HotSpot Switch - Android Apps on Google Play

Download, install, add widget to homescreen via long press, done.

H/T: Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

0 Likes
sydeburns

I lied. HotSpot Switch by Evosoft worked great a few times, and then inexplicably works only 5% of the time now. No idea what the root cause for the variance is, but I have since uninstalled it to continue the search for something that should be fairly simple....

0 Likes
BeeKay69

No Fix yet.  I did notice the following behavior though:

If your Wifi is on and are connected to network, when you initiate a toggle (using just about any app).  It will shut off the Wifi, and turn on the hotspot.  This works everytime. 

Too bad the reason you are using the hotspot feature is typically because there is no other Wifi network available. 😕

Just having your Wifi and not connected to a network does not work though. 

Hope that provides some clues for anyone monitoring this issue.

Tested:

Samsung S5, KitKat, Lollipop

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I'm confused. Aren't you talking about a quick selection button; such as the ones already provided on the s5 for things like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Location,Airplane mode etc?

Settings>Notification Panel

Scroll to bottom and there is a "Mobile Hotspot" button you can add to your drop down menu.

0 Likes