Has Anyone Found A Mobile Hotspot Toggle Widget For The S5?
DerbyDad03
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have downloaded a half dozen Mobile Hotspot Toggle widgets for my S5 and none of them work. These are the same widgets that worked on my Droid3.

On the S5 they all turn off WiFi and they all flash the message "Checking Subscription" but none of them actually turn on the Mobile Hotspot. In order to turn on the Hotspot I have to use the mutiple steps of Settings...More Networks...etc.

I called Tech support and all they could offer was "Keep trying different widgets until you find one that works."

Do I just have to wait until the widget writers catch up?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Has Anyone Found A Mobile Hotspot Toggle Widget For The S5?
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I'm confused. Aren't you talking about a quick selection button; such as the ones already provided on the s5 for things like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Location,Airplane mode etc?

Settings>Notification Panel

Scroll to bottom and there is a "Mobile Hotspot" button you can add to your drop down menu.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
joela1151

Try PDA+ (I think that's it, pretty sure actually) I haven't tried it on my S5 but it worked fine on my Razr Maxx.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does the Settings shortcut baked into the OS not work for you?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
DerbyDad03
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you are talking about the 5 step process of Settings...More Networks....Mobile Hotspot...On...OK (to warning about WiFi being turned off), yes that works fine.

However, I am trying to find a widget that eliminates 4 of those 5 steps: Tap the widget, the hotspot is enabled. Tap it again, the hotspot turns off. None of the widgets that worked on my Droid 3 work on the S5. I've seen the same issue discussed in other forums and so far no one has found a widget that works on the S5. Others have tried the same widgets as I have and they just don't work on the S5.

0 Likes
DerbyDad03
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you mean PdaNET+, I just tried it and it still takes as many steps to turn on the hotspot as just going through the S5's Settings. In fact, the PdaNET+ eventually takes me right to the same Settings screen where I actually have to turn on the Mobile Hotspot. The only difference is that I don't have to click OK to respond to the "WiFi will be turned off" warning.

I am looking for the same functionality as I had on my Droid3: One tap on the widget to turn the hotspot on, one more tap to turn it off. None of the widgets available on the Play Store work. They all act like they are working, but they never actually turn the hotspot on.

Thanks anyway.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, you can create a settings shortcut to open directly in the tethering screen where you can turn on the hotspot feature. I use the power bar widget to turn off the wifi beforehand.

If you truly want a quick widget to turn on and off the hotspot, you should look into using a HTC phone. They have such a quick widget.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
dwmuller
Enthusiast - Level 1

This problem is not limited to toggle widgets. It seems to also afflict NFC applications - and probably any program that tries to toggle the hotspot state. I suspect that it's a bug in software that Verizon adds to the phone to validate the subscription status. (Users with grandfathered Unlimited plans still have to pay extra for tethering.)

0 Likes
bmallya
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi all,

Did you find any solution to theproblem?

galaxyx
Enthusiast - Level 1

7 months later... I cannot find anything. Anyone find one?

0 Likes
bmallya
Enthusiast - Level 2

pls drop email to myID: [removed]

I have gotone

Personal information removed as required by the

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes