Re: Google Wallet
JoeKiv
Contributor - Level 1

"..he NFC aspect is something that VZW does not restrict. It is the secure element. So for example, you would no issues using the NFC tag to unlock your phone but you would not be able to use Google Wallet to make payments as it requires use of the secure element.  So the issue is not so much with the manufacturers but rather what the carriers want them to lock down in order to further their own interests .."

Just to be certain you are not misunderstanding my post:  I am not saying that the carriers are blocking NFC (I use it regularly).  I am pointing out that they are blocking the ONLY Nationally available NFC based Payment App, Google Wallet.  They have been blocking it for more than a year, which has reduced demand for retailers to provide "NFC Tap & Pay" as a payment option.  I am also not saying that this is being caused in any way by the Android manufacturers - I am saying that they are victims of this carrier policy, as it denies them a competitive advantage that they otherwise should have over Apple.  Lastly, I am saying that these manufacturers could have significant impact in getting it stopped.  Since this blocking has been ongoing for a considerable time, It is obvious that user complaints to the Federal Govt alone are not getting it stopped.  A complaint to a company, for example Samsung, stating that since "I can't use NFC Tap & Pay, I may just as well go ahead and buy an Apple"  would most likely get their attention.

0 Likes
HarishN

Joe, I might have misunderstood your position on manufacturers a little but I mostly agreed with your post. My point was only to explain my previous post. You are absolutely right about how ISIS partners have been manipulating this situation in order to get to the market. Folks that carry their tablets are significantly fewer than the ones that carry their smartphones. The carriers understand this aspect and have fully exploited this situation by disallowing competing apps. This has led to the market (consumers and vendors) not embracing this solution. The only way to correct (if possible at all) is to file a complaint with FTC. The more folks that do it, the more traction it gets. I would really like to hear VZW explanation of their blocking, something that US Cellular and Sprint dont believe is necessary. I believe you had asked this before and that is a perfectly valid question as well. Why is VZW bothered with keeping my accounts secure?

0 Likes
JoeKiv
Contributor - Level 1

I agree with all of your well informed posts except " The only way to correct (if possible at all) is to file a complaint with FTC".  The point of my original post is to say that people should ALSO complain to their Android phone manufacturer that they are being prevented from using an important build in feature.   They should also point out in that complaint that while the end user is being inconvenienced, the manufacturer is actually being harmed by being denied a competitive advantage.

0 Likes
Kev48us
Contributor - Level 1

just so u know u now can use google wallet but the tap to pay feature dosent work on alot of devices also they now have a debit card

0 Likes
JoeKiv
Contributor - Level 1

"tap to pay feature dosent work on alot of devices"

Actually tap & pay does not work on ANY Verizon phone.  Tap & Pay which can be used with any registered credit/debit card is what makes Google Wallet desirable.  To announce that you can use this handicapped version is equivalent.to saying you can drive a car with a flat tire.

0 Likes
paturner7
Enthusiast - Level 1

Never. Verizon and its pathetic use of ISIS wont suck it up and let people make the choice. I had ISIS. It's a joke. Ill never use it. I cant add my bankcard... only a capital one and amex.. so I have to run my credit up to pay with my phone? thanks for that verizon. I hate you. I only have you as service because your network is the only one i can get  where I am at.. otherwise I would be gone. But what does verizon care if im ****** off about this?... they are still making money. >>comment removed<<. what a pain.. ISIS is a worthless app with no good use. At least the wallet app i have now let's me load ANY loyalty card and I have linked my cc and bank to it AND i now have the FREE google wallet card in which I can pay anywhere with... last time... >>comment removed<<  Verizon for blocking this.. what happened to freedom of choice? Im in the Marine Corps.. I fight for that right and verizon restricts it... almost like a slap in the face.. a little dramatic.. yes... but im annoyed. Thank you for reading my rant.

>>Edited to comply with the <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
paturner7
Enthusiast - Level 1

tap to pay works if you get the special sim card in which i got from verizon.. your just stuck to using the Crappy ISIS app

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I said this before...

With the way Google had it setup initially it protected Verizon for not having it.

You need to pay Google to white list your devices. See Sprint exclusive deal for example. If you device is unlocked and unbranded yet had a secure element Google does not white list those because the manufacturer didn't pay up instead of the carrier. If you want to use the secure element for your own payment system you couldn't. Google finally caught on...

4.4 has framework that drastically changed things. Now it's open to more than Google Wallet. Square could make one. PayPal can too. Now Verizon is no longer protected and if they block these apps it will fail based on block c rules. Block C didn't matter if Verizon had to pay for it.

JoeKiv
Contributor - Level 1

Tap & Pay does NOT work with 'Google Wallet' and this discussion is about Google Wallet.  When you get the secure sim card from Verizon, it enables the phone to use Isis and Isis ONLY.  What you are actually doing is disabling the secure element on the phone and replacing it with a secure element on the sim card which can only be used with Isis.  Isis does NOT allow you to use any credit or debit card you desire only the two cards that they alone deem worthy, Wallet allows you to use any credit or debit card you choose.  Verizon not only dictates what app you can use, but also dictates what funding source you can use.  

0 Likes
paturner7
Enthusiast - Level 1

Er.. I just used tap to pay on my s4... with isis  ..so if you have the special sim card YOU CAN use tap to pay but only with ISIS.. verizon sets you up to use isis.. you can't use tap to pay with any other app, including wallet,  because verizon wont let you. . >>comments removed<<

>>Post edited to comply with    Discussion concerning rooting, jailbreaking, or modding is not permitted in this forum<<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes