Re: Google Wallet
Tidbits
Legend

Really? Tap and pay does not work with wallet? You can't be so..... Wrong...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cb3q100qxheorqt/2013-11-30%2021.49.08.png

Before 4.4 you had to be white listed by Google before tap and pay will work, but it does work if the manufacturer, or carrier pays up. In 4.4 Google changed things where they white list devices.

Anyway do you KNOW why Isis disables the secure element on the phone?

1. Google blocks the use of the secure element. You have to be white listed from them to use it. If a device doesn't have a secure element only Isis would work pre 4.4.

2. Isis needs a secure element, but you can't use two secure elements.

3. With 4.4 you could use both if you wanted to in theory. Wallet no longer uses a secure element. It uses hardware and software encryption.

Google was just as much anticompetitive as Verizon was until 4.4. Everyone was so caught up on The Google-aid they don't realize when Google does do stuff like that.

JoeKiv
Contributor - Level 1

"Really? Tap and pay does not work with wallet? You can't be so..... Wrong...

I stated, I believe quite clearly that, Tap & Pay WITH Google Wallet does NOT work with Verizon Phones, and I am not wrong.  Unless you are willing to root and void your Verizon warranty, but we are not here discussing rooting or workarounds.

We're discussing Verizon preventing their customers from using Google wallet with the NFC equipped phones that they purchased from Verizon, without them needing to void warranties or risk bricking their phones.  Saying otherwise is like saying you can go to the party without an invitation - all you have to do is crash it.

As for #1 - You wish to make it Google's fault. So be it, but I don't buy it.  Not only Sprint, but also some of the smaller carriers can use Wallet without any problem.  In fact they only ones that can't are the ones invested in Isis. For example Verizon.  Google made sure that their newest version 4.4 with Wallet will work without the secure element on ANY NFC phone for the sole purpose of getting around the carriers restrictions.  If it was just a matter of Google "white listing" a phone, then they could have saved themselves a lot of work by simply "white listing" all NFC phones.

As for # 2 - Read my post again where I stated that the secure sim disables the phones secure element.

As for # 3 - This is a Verizon Galaxy S3 Forum. and there is not a single unrooted GS3 in the world that runs Kit Kat (4.4). and in all probability the Verizon GS3 will never get an official 4.4 update. So what it can or can't do is meaningless in this forum.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

#1 They do work, but the reason why they do not is HOW Google has a white listing.  You have to PAY them to white list your devices.  Google changed it in 4.4 like how it should have been.  These devices as long as they have a secure element can use wallet for tap and pay before 4.4.  It's up to Google to WHITE LIST them.  Who do you think pays the fees?  You don't pay fees using wallet.  Google does and to offset the costs charge carriers or manufacturers.  I have a multitude of devices that are unlocked and unbranded that can't use wallet due to Google whitelisting.  Google will treat all unbranded devices as international devices.  So please explain this.  Even Google explains whitelisting.  Cyanogenmod wanted their own tap and pay.  They couldn't do it the way they wanted(similar to wallet) because Google wouldn't whitelist them.  They ended up doing a roundabout way of doing it.  So explain that.

#2 You second response "Tap & Pay does NOT work with 'Google Wallet' and this discussion is about Google Wallet"  which I was responding to.

#3 All the GS3 work with tap and pay if Google whitelists.  They could have just dropped whitelisting already, but choose to continue whitelisting to until 4.4.  It isn't meaningless.  They could easily switch to a blacklist or not have a list at all like they did with *gasp* 4.4.  This is all done on their end and not on the device needing an update.  They already did the first half with the Wallet.apk, and Google services.apk.  They could do it on the server end if they wanted to, and whitelisting is gone, but I don't think that'll happen until current deals are expired.

Root isn't required if Google didn't whitelist.  The only reason why you need root is just to change build.prop and it works no matter what phone it is as long as it has a secure element(albiet ones without could use it to by tricking Google servers to thinking it does have one).