Re: Google Wallet?
illutian

It's rather funny now.

If you search for 'verizon isis' on your Android Phone [Play Store]. No results are found. If you try to install it from the web-front of the Play Store; An unexpected error has occurred. Please try again later.

I believe the saying "two can play at that game" comes to mind

0 Likes
bgilb52
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon has paid Google to block Google Wallet on Verizon.

http://phandroid.com/2013/04/30/verizon-blocking-google-wallet/

Verizon wasn't ever planning on allowing Google access to their network phones' secure element.  Since Verizon is CDMA instead of GSM they control what phones are allowed access to their network.  Verizon owns a piece of ISIS and as such will always (given the legal option) find that ISIS is "the most secure" payment system.  Most importantly Verizon feels entitled to the revenue stream from ISIS since they own the network.  Until people are willing to leave over how laughably terrible ISIS is compared to Google Wallet nothing will change.

ISIS of course has none of the features that Google Wallet does, but Verizon doesn't care.  Verizon has a great network and great customer service for aspects of that networks that Verizon intends to work, but Verizon's software sucks balls and is way overpriced (see VZ navigator).

Ryanl321

I'd like to refute your statement about wallet not workong on the S4 as it is completely inaccurate.

Note that on the wallet support page below the S4 is on the list, just not from verizon

https://support.google.com/wallet/answer/1347934?hl=en

Please see and note that Verizon has opted to remove this as an option on the S4 that they sell... As they obviously have some ridiculous agreement with Isis... This kind if behavior from a carrier is unacceptable and is why people root their phones.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

First of all, you are responding to a post from early June. What was said in the post may or may not still be applicable.

Second, they DID NOT say Google Wallet didn't work on the S4, they said "at this time, Google Wallet is not supported".

Third, it's kind of funny how a "Verizon Wireless Customer Support" person is referring ONLY to the Verizon version of the phone, not taking into account same model phones on other carriers which may or may not have the same features.

Lastly, I believe if you check the Play Store, you will currently be able to download and install Google Wallet onto your device. I was able to download it onto my Verizon Droid Razr Maxx last night just fine. Others have reported doing so on their Samsung GS4. Whether or not it will work as a point of sale touchless payment method on Verizon phones remains to be seen, which I intend to find out later today.

Verizon, though, is currently at least partially supporting Google Wallet.

0 Likes
bgilb52
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can download and open Google Wallet on my S4 at this point.  Go into settings under "About" and you will see that Verizon has kept "Tap and Pay" disabled as Verizon still is not allowing anyone not directly owned by Verizon (ISIS) access to the secure elements of phones on their network.  So Verizon phones with Google Wallet will only get the new functionality role out this month (instead of the original intention).

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

bgilb52 wrote:

Verizon still is not allowing anyone not directly owned by Verizon (ISIS) access to the secure elements of phones on their network.

Or at least "partially owned".

0 Likes
illutian

Rather annoying I can't run Google Wallet on a rooted and re-ROMed Samsung GS3. It appears Google is filtering out phones based on carriers to prevent people from using a device _they_ paid for.

0 Likes
Alphanerd82
Enthusiast - Level 2

>> Duplicate post removed to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.  See <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
kent3230
Enthusiast - Level 1

For the premium we pay to use Verizon as a service it's interesting to me that they push a worthless service to it's users to only cause bitter feelings. It's a very poor strategy IMHO. In the end VZW will eventually allow Google wallet as ISIS will fail due to constraints despite Verizons marketing position. It's just a matter of time. As usual the US is behind the most of the rest of the world on technology as this technology is widely used in EU and parts of APAC.

NexusMan21
Contributor - Level 2

Considering that on Android 4.4 Kit Kat, Google Wallet no longer needs the secure element to do Tap & Pay, I imagine it will be usable on Verizon. Google Wallet uses Host Card Emulation in Kit Kat. All we need to do is wait for that 4.4 upgrade.

https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/connectivity/nfc/hce.html

At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon found some other way to block it again. Only time will tell.

0 Likes