Global Network Pop-Up or Stuck In 3G
aarontsuru

As has been noted on the forums, when you have your phone's network mode set for LTE/CDMA and you lose service (for example when underground on the subway here in New York City), you will get a pop-up asking you to set your network to Global. If you say cancel, you'll get the pop-up over and over again.  It's a significant nuisance for people who regularly lose service like me. 

The solve is to accept the pop-up and set your network to Global, but unfortunately, that creates a different issue. 

You see, the problem I have is if I keep my network on Global, I'm more prone to lose LTE in New York City and get stuck in 3G. When this happens I need to reboot the phone to get back to LTE. Doing research online and through my own experience, I found that the solve was to choose LTE/CDMA in the network settings, but whenever I'm in the subway, here come the Global Network pop-ups again! 

Both issues have shown up in various forums, support rooms, etc, all over the internet, but I have yet to find a total solution. It's either keep it on Global Mode and deal with losing LTE periodically or go to LTE/CDMA mode and remember to go to Airplane mode in the subway. 

Joy. 

My brother-in-law & wife both have iPhone5s on Verizon and had the same "stuck in 3G" issue in NYC, turning off international mode fixed their issue, but they don't have pop-ups in the subway, of course, that's a "helpful" Samsung add-on. 

So there you go. It's unfortunate. I'm really happy with the phone otherwise...  Do you have a solution?

Tags (5)
0 Likes
Re: Global Network Pop-Up or Stuck In 3G
TrackSmart

Did you ever figure out the solution this problem?  I have the same issue in Boston.  The T emerges from underground and the phone never switches back to LTE.  Switching "airplane mode" on/off doesn't work.  I have to restart the phone to get 4G LTE again.  This is on a Galaxy S3 and obviously on Verizon.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@aarontsuru and TrackSmart

Constantly loosing your 4G data connection can become frustrating!  I would love to help.  I would like to suggest resetting the device APN setting to default.  Go to Settings > More Settings > Mobile networks > Access Point Names > then press the Menu key and select "reset to defaults" which allows you to select "LTE".  Let me know how this works out for you.  Thanks!

AnthonyTa_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
hotsaucecommittee
Enthusiast - Level 2

This method has not helped me in Atlanta.

0 Likes