At upgrading from KK to 5.0, my phone was running hot, battery drained quickly...all the horror stories everyone else complained about. Two days letter, the S5 is running better under Lollipop than it ever was under KK. How? Here's how:
1. Clear cache. Use the method described elsewhere (turn off phone, then hold down the Home and Volume buttons, push Power button and when phone buzzes/vibrates once, let go of Power. Then choose the option to "clear cache"...then reboot once that is finished).
2. Update every app you have. This will take some time, but it must be done.
3. Remove apps you have not used in a while. Just basic good practice anyway. If you haven't used it in the last two months, get rid of it. You can always download it again if you find you really need it.
4. Get rid of misbehaving apps. NUMBER ONE OFFENDER: UNINSTALL FACEBOOK'S "MESSENGER" APP. This was actually the key for me, and I want to thank the VZW support guy who recommended it.. Getting rid of Facebook Messenger (just called "Messenger" in the app manger, the one with the blue shield with a white lightning bolt icon that Facebook came out with a few months ago when they decided to stop using their own integrated messenger within the Facebook app) worked instantly. It was like magic, seriously. One minute my battery life was falling at the rate of about 2% every five minutes of screen time, and the next (without that app) my battery life returned to better than it was under KitKat. I wouldn't have believed it, but it worked.
5. For those who experience WiFi dropping or not being available when waking the phone, go into WiFi advanced settings and change the setting for "Keep wifi connected during sleep" to "always on". This will also help with updating your apps even when you're not using the phone but when it is just sitting there idly. And it will keep wifi connected.
I'm following along here. And I have definitely uninstalled Facebook Messenger. It makes sense because it is ON all the time. I suspected the Facebook app itself because my battery life increased and heat signature decreased noticeably when I logged out of FB. But the messenger was still working.
I'm going to see if that works. Thanks for the step-by-step.
I Uninstaller Messenger, but not Facebook yet. The phone no longer hears up, but the battery still drains rapidly, so FB will be next unless there's an update soon.
any apps that continually update, fb, twitter, any other social media, stocks, weather, ad nauseum pull on the battery.
not having wi-fi go to sleep also draws on the batt.
it's a balance of better batt life & staying connected.
i kept seeing "updates" available to apps i wasn't using.
settings/apps/app manager......all the way to the right, i stopped, not "force stop" what i didn't want/need & batt life has improved.