Galaxy s6 not pairing with 2015 Subaru Outback - Radio freezes
Tax_Doctor
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a 2015 Subaru Outback with which I previously used my Galaxy S3 successfully.  I recently upgraded to the Galaxy S6 and immediately began having problems with my radio freezing; display froze and I was unable to control it in any way using either the controls on the steering wheel or on the radio, itself. Assuming it was a Subaru problem, which I haven't necessarily ruled out, I took it to the dealer who replaced the radio under warranty. 

I paired the phone to the new radio, but I started experiencing many of the same problems, except they got worse.  Generally, within the first five minutes the radio would freeze up completely, much as the old radio did, so I took it back to the dealer.  They spoke with their tech department who had them perform what they called a capacitor discharge, which they said cleared its memory. 

When I got the car back, although the display implied that the phone was still paired, anytime I tried using the phone through the radio, I received a message saying that there was no phone paired.  So, I deleted the phone from the radio, and removed the car from my phone bluetooth list & left it that way for several days.  During that time, the radio worked flawlessly, so, the other evening, I tried pairing my phone again and the radio immediately froze.  I shut the car off, restarted it, and immediately deleted the S6 from my radio as well as removing the car from my phone's bluetooth list again.  The radio now continues to work flawlessly, but I have no bluetooth connection for my phone.

Has anyone seen this problem before?  Any thoughts as to how to resolve it?  I'm not going to go through years of car or phone ownership without the ability to use the bluetooth in the car!  Any help will be appreciated!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Galaxy s6 not pairing with 2015 Subaru Outback - Radio freezes
Tax_Doctor
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found a post on a Subaru forum that said, when I pair my phone to the car, I must not allow the phone to share messages with the car.  By following that instruction, the pairing worked.  Nothing else worked.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Using bluetooth is an increasingly common item with these devices.  Lets see how we can get this fixed. Take me through the process, how well do you pair the devices?
MatthewT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Tax_Doctor
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found a post on a Subaru forum that said, when I pair my phone to the car, I must not allow the phone to share messages with the car.  By following that instruction, the pairing worked.  Nothing else worked.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tax.Doctor I understand wanting to use the bluetooth in your car. It's safer to be hands free and very convenient. If the car and the phone are recognizing each other then that indicates that there is something else causing this issue. Has your phone had the latest software update http://vz.to/1BiGZYk ? Have you tried to connect a different phone to the car to see what that does?

Is it just the car radio that freezes or the phone as well?

MarcusSS_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Tax_Doctor
Enthusiast - Level 2

currently running version g920vvru4bok7; updated on 12/11/15.

I had a rented car after this update, during which the Bluetooth worked flawlessly on that car.

Have not tried connecting a different phone to the car, although, prior to the upgrade, I was running a Galaxy S3 without any problem with this radio.

The phone does not freeze; only the radio.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tax.Doctor,

Thank you for the information. This really does help our troubleshooting. We would like ot see if the bluetooth connection does work in another vechile. This will help us determine if the issue is device related. Is your phone experience any other issues?

Juan D.

VZW

0 Likes
Tax_Doctor
Enthusiast - Level 2

As I mentioned in my last post, I was able to connect the phone with another vehicle that I rented (Nissan Rogue) with full functionality.

When I last spoke with the Subaru dealer about this problem,they indicated that they have had difficulty, in general, pairing the galaxy S6 to the Outback.

Hope things aren't too taxing for you!

Howard

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tax.Doctor It would appear you have done your due diligence and all we want is for the phone to work with your Outback. Since you have worked with the dealer and we know that the problem is only between the Outback and the S6 I’m providing you with the contact for Samsung. I’m confident they will be able to assist you. http://www.samsung.com/us/support/contact
DeloresK_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Tax_Doctor
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.  Actually, I have spoken with Samsung.  I did everything they suggested, short of resetting my phone.  I don't think the problem is specific to my phone.  Rather, there seems to be an issue with the S6 and the Outback, in general.  It is frustrating to deal with.

Hope things aren't too taxing for you!

Howard

0 Likes
myname_on_screen

Hi Tax.Doctor,

Are you still having this problem? I have a new 2016 Outback and a Samsung S6. I don't have a "freezing" problem but I was seeing the bluetooth connection dropping very often.

I deleted the bluetooth connections on both the car and the phone and shut them both off. Turned the car back on and then the phone. Went into Add a phone on the car and did the pairing from the phone.

Now, the trick that worked for me was to NOT allow the messaging to be set up (I needed to "Skip" that part). It does not seem to be disconnecting like before.

Were you able to get a better answer from Subaru?

0 Likes