Galaxy S8 still downloads updates over data instead of Wi-fi despite my settings set for Wi-fi only.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Topic says it all, I went on break at work and got my phone from my locker to discover it downloaded an update without my consent over the data network which thus consumes my very limited data. My settings clearly state to only do this on wi-fi but the phone does it anyway.

Some rants -

Thanks Verizon for not allowing me to use my Best Buy discount on unlimited data.

Thanks Verizon for not supporting Net Neutrality.

Thanks Verizon for programming phone software to purposefully consume my data against my will.

Thanks Verizon for throttling my streaming.

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S8 still downloads updates over data instead of Wi-fi despite my settings set for Wi-fi only.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm so sorry your device updated on the mobile network. Let's get to the bottom of this. Was this a software update or an application update? Did this cause you to have an overage?

JoeL_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S8 still downloads updates over data instead of Wi-fi despite my settings set for Wi-fi only.
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was the latest security update just after Bixby voice was enabled so definitely not application. It also added the unlock dock buttons feature. 

It didn't cause an overage but since the update my data has higher than normal usage, I confirmed my settings under System update says "wi-fi only" and same thing for Samsung apps and Google Play Store. I've never had Apps update over 4G. This is the 2nd or 3rd time the S8 has installed SYSTEM Updates over 4G. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

KekkanGari, we apologize that the software update started over the network. The Samsung S8 has the ability to update over data as well if wifi isn't connected. Are you able to provide a screenshot of the screen that has the setting set to do wifi only on software updates?

0 Likes