Galaxy S7 won't search for software updates
OBU
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have 2 identical S7 phones purchased at the same time (03/2016) from a Verizon store.  One for me and one for my girlfriend.  My phone works fine.  Her phone has never updated the OS since 6.0.1 nor has it received any security patches.  Auto update is switched on.  If I attempt to check for new updates, I receive a message stating: "This service is unavailable at this time".  Don't ask why it took so long for me to look into this.  Doesn't really matter.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Galaxy S7 won't search for software updates
OBU
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok.  Problem solved!  Well, at least for now.  "SmartSwitch" is the cure.  I think I learned about it on a Samsung forum.  Bottom line is I connected the phone to a PC running SmartSwitch and in the center of the window, on the pc, where the phone information would normally show up was a message stating there was a system software update available with a button to click on to perform the update.  I clicked on the button and the update began to download.  It wasn't a seamless process partially due to me being unfamiliar with the procedures but the end result was Oreo installed and functioning.  Thank you to everyone who tried to help me out.  I may have given up without the options offered here and elsewhere.

View solution in original post

bearone21
Legend

updates depend on os version & you won't get latest updates on older versions.

what version on your s7??

0 Likes
OBU
Enthusiast - Level 3

Mine is current at 8.0 (Oreo?)

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

that's why you're getting the updates & she isn't, her old os.

0 Likes
OBU
Enthusiast - Level 3

So first I have to wonder why she never got the earlier update (Nougat)?  Do you know if there is a way to manually update it?  I'm not ready to give up this phone. 

0 Likes
nel6733l

I have the same problem

0 Likes
OBU
Enthusiast - Level 3

So, guy at the Verizon store, last night, says it's not a Verizon problem, it's a Samsung thing.  Tells her to go to a Samsung store for help.  I'll let you know how that works out but I am not very optimistic.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

where's a samsung store, oh that's right they don't have any actual stores.

fwiw:

bestbuy has been able to manual updates in the past, not sure if they still can.

0 Likes
gregl_vzw
Verizon Employee

Having the latest software on your device is very important, nel6733l, and I am happy to assist with looking into why your device is having difficulties updating its software. What happens when you go into your 'Settings' and choose Software Update'?

GregL_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
melissap_vzw
Verizon Employee

Hello OBU, We understand how important it is to be able to stay on top of software up dates. You have come to the right place for assistance. While you and your girlfriend may have the same phone, how you utilize them is completely different. Can you tell me what kind of storage space she has available on her device? Has she had any issues with any other applications? Does she get the same issue is she tries to run the software update in Safe Mode?

Melissa_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes