Galaxy S6 Battery Life -- Significantly Decreased
chris_k1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is anyone else having issues with battery life on their S6?  Mine is bad and seems to be getting worse.  For instance, this morning I unplugged my phone from an overnight full charge at 100%.  At 9:30a it was down to 75%, and hadn't been used.  After about 5 min on Facebook, it was down to 70%. The battery report indicated that the top two battery draws were Android System (14%) and Cell Standby (6%).  That's 20% from those two alone in 2 1/2 hours of non-use.  I really don't think the OS is chugging away in the background and the cell standby is sucking down all that much (in very good coverage).  I think the capacity of the battery is shot.  Also, I've noticed that the phone goes from 20% to 5% and then shutdown in practically no time at all.  Anyone have any thoughts?  I'm thinking about just taking it into the store or calling support about a warranty replacement--but I don't know how much help they'd be for something like a perceived battery capacity issue.  Thanks in advance.

Re: Galaxy S6 Battery Life -- Significantly Decreased
maredee
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the same issue with my battery life on the galaxy s6.  I upgraded to the s6 in May.  My first phone wasn't working correctly so ended up sending it back in and got a 'new' phone...that phone was fine for two months, battery life was great, until one night the phone shut off and would not work again, so sent that phone in and received a 'new' phone.  Well, had that phone for 3 weeks.  Would go to bed with 100% charge, to get up 8 hours later to phone being at 50%, so took it into store couple days ago to see if they could help me out with why it was draining while not in use, they told me to send it back in, so I did...just received my 'new' phone yesterday, charged it to 100% last night and woke up to half drained once again....so this is phone number 4!  Now what?  I'm pretty darn tired of receiving all these 'new' phones that quite frankly...suck!  I have looked online and went thru all steps for saving battery life....as far as turning things off, but honestly, I buy this expensive smart phone with all these features, I should not have to turn off Location, Wifi and all this other good stuff that is why we get a smart phone for in the first place...and I have to say, on the phone that worked for two months and had a great battery, I am doing nothing different with these other phones, that I did with that....so is something draining the battery, or is it that the battery just sucks?  I do not know, but am highly frustrated!

frfjr

battery started to go about 5 days ago. this s6 is 4 months old. charged it up and was dead in 7 hours with no use. today I charged it and it simply died will not even turn on with a charger connected

0 Likes
Mishyfish
Enthusiast - Level 1

My battery was working well for my S6 Edge but ever since the last system update it's been doing the same thing you said. I unplug it and like 5 minutes later it's down to 90% and I haven't done anything. By the end of the day it's almost dead whereas before the update it would always last day without any issues. I was actually really pleased with the battery life..before the last update.

chris_k1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oh god, deja vu.  The ICS update killed my HTC Thunderbolt's battery, too!  I guess I'll take it in and see what they say. Smiley Sad

0 Likes
holls91
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had the same issues.  After doing some digging on the forums I have discovered that wakelock is not allowing the phone to go into deep sleep mode when not in use so the Android OS is contstantly awake.  This is an issue Google is aware of, but currently isn't doing anything about.  Here is the forum I was looking through.

Issue 207700 - android - Partial Wakelock - Android System *backup* = NO deepsleep/doze mode - Andro...

0 Likes
chris_k1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Was this something that occurred suddenly for you?  I feel like my battery life degradation occurred over the course of about a month.  Thanks for the tip, though!

0 Likes
holls91
Enthusiast - Level 2

I noticed it over about a month as well.  I went thru all of Verizon's steps - soft reset and factory reset and eventually wound up with a replacement Galaxy S6 and am still having the same issues.  I guess right now I am just waiting for Google to fix the issue.

0 Likes
CAB1962
Enthusiast - Level 1

This just started for me after the latest System Update. Clearing system cache did nothing.