Galaxy S5 screen flicker
lochnez

My Galaxy S5 is a little over two and a half years old. Recently the lower half of the screen started to flicker whenever I turn the screen off or turn it back on. I haven't loaded any new apps recently and it doesn't seem to be dependent on the battery level. Has anybody encountered this issue? Am I looking at a repair or a new phone? I like my S5 and would prefer to keep it if possible.

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S5 screen flicker
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Lochnez, we always want to ensure that your device is working up to par! We’re here to help get this screen fixed. At this time, we don’t see any known issues about a flickering screen with the Galaxy S5 so we’d like to ask a few questions to make sure we’re both on the same page.

When did this problem originally present itself? Has this always impacted the lower half of the screen at this particular spot or does it seem like the issue is spreading and impacting more of the screen as time goes by? Is the touchscreen still functional in areas where the flickering occurs? Has there been any signs of physical or liquid damage to the device at all? You can check out https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/how-to-identify-device-damage/or more information.

SamanthaT_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
lochnez

It started recently, within the last month or so. When the screen turns off for sleep mode, the upper half darkens as usual, but the lower half flickers the background for several seconds before going dark. When I wake the phone the lower half flickers again but usually stabilizes. But not always. Sometimes it continues and the whole screen is affected. Pushing the power button twice seems to stop it. I haven't dropped it or spilled anything on it. I have reset the phone a couple times since buying it. This started after the last reset. I saw someone with a similar problem a few years ago mention turning off auto brightness. Could that work? If so, why? I have auto brightness turned off and will see if the problem goes away. If it does, I'll put auto brightness back on to see if it resurfaces.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

My resources our coming up empty on this I must admit, . The auto brightness steps you've refered to may be the direction to go. If not, do you have an extended waranty for the S5? The reason for asking is that our steps on troubleshooting this move through backing up the device and resetting it. If that still is flickering after the reset, then we'd be looking to upgrade or exchange the phone if there's an extended waranty and the phones in good cosmetic condition.

DavidH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
lochnez

To my knowledge I don't have an extended warranty. As I said the device is over 2 1/2 years old. As I also said, I have reset the device a few times, most recently just before this flickering started. Disabling auto-brightness has ameliorated the problem, but it has not eliminated it. I still occasionally see minor flickering when the screen is shutting off. It's interesting that it started just after the offer of the Pixel 2 @ $5.00/month expired. LOL Just my luck!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It seems like you have tried everything Lochnez. I would like to see if you do have an extended warranty on your device. I have sent you a private message.

AmberF_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
lochnez

While I appreciate the offer, I don't provide account information to an email request. Too paranoid about phishing. With good reason given the current state of internet security. Shutting off auto-brightness seems to have "solved" the problem. If it comes back, I'll add to this post.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

lochnez wrote:

While I appreciate the offer, I don't provide account information to an email request. Too paranoid about phishing. With good reason given the current state of internet security. Shutting off auto-brightness seems to have "solved" the problem. If it comes back, I'll add to this post.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for that information, tiki bar1.

lochnez, Although the phone is a little older, we can check to see if you have Total Mobile Protection or Total Equipment Coverage on the account. That will provide you with warranty beyond the original 1-year manufacturer's warranty. If you prefer calling up for assistance, please dial 800.922.0204.

TamaraH_VZW

0 Likes
lochnez

I just looked at my bill and there is no charge for any type of warranty on it. I would assume there would be a line labeled "warranty" or some such thing if I was paying it.

I know I'm eligible for an upgrade, but I don't want or need the expense at this time. I would just like my S5 to last a little longer.

0 Likes