Galaxy S5 Screen Orientation and Gyro defect
patomd

My phone got really warm a couple of days ago and battery had gone from 100% to 20% within an hour. "gsiff_daemon" was at the top process in my battery history at about 35% use.  I charged back up to 100%, rebooted my phone, and hoped it was a random bug.  My phone starts getting hot again and the battery is drained... and once again I see that "gsiff_daemon" has 33% use again.

I then realized my gyroscope wasn't working when trying to rotate the browser. Using GPS Status I determined the accelerometer, gyroscope and proximity sensor all give no data and are indicated as malfunctioning. 

I've rebooted many times, boot into safe mode, did two system resets, the second while preventing any additional apps to be installed, and all sensors continue to be dead and gsiff_daemon continued to show up in my battery usage.

I took it to two different Verizon stores and the customer reps were almost comical in their ignorance and suggested fixes.  Unfortunately, the warranty expired 3 weeks ago and Verizon is not budging in taking any responsibility for diagnosing the problem much less replacing the phone.

Is anyone else besides the 4,000 posts on dead gyros on a S5 experiencing similar issues?  Any fixes, other than trashing it?

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S5 Screen Orientation and Gyro defect
evol073
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unfortunately not. The gyroscope and proximity sensor are all mounted to the motherboard of the Galaxy S5. The replacement process is extremely high risk and most technicians would not be able to perform the task correctly. It requires some very specialized micro soldering and that does not come cheap. On top of the fact that the only way to get to your motherboard in that phone is to remove your LCD screen which in most cases of an unskilled technician would end up in LCD damage.

You may be able to sell it to a local repair center for parts. Just don't tell them too much about the motherboard failure and they may pay more for it.

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S5 Screen Orientation and Gyro defect
whmusser

I have the same issue. It started several weeks ago and I've read the same forum threads you have. The staff at my local VZW store were absolutely clueless regarding what appears to be a wide problem. I spent several hours on a Chat with Samsung and made no progress (except clearing out some old apps when they had me do a factory reset). Can't run the Secret Codes because Verizon has locked that feature. Seems like some "planned obsolescence" in play here....

0 Likes