Galaxy S5 Pop3 email problems
drventure

Recently got a GS5 and am having some email problems.

1) It will not let me set up a pop3 account.  Imap is the only option.  How can you set up the stock email app for pop3?

2) My old GS3 downloaded emails once and I could delete them just from the phone - they would stay on the server.

With the GS5, deleted emails return immediately and keep downloading. If I read and delete an email or swipe left and delete it then it also deletes the email from my server (which I do NOT want).  How do you delete from the phone only and prevent them from coming back?

I have been reading forums all over the net and this seems to be a problem across various carriers and devices but no one has a good answer. Did something change with KitKat or the stock app?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Galaxy S5 Pop3 email problems
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We don't want to see you having trouble with such an awesome phone, drventure.  You should still have the option to manually add a POP3 email account to allow you the flexibility to use the email the way you want. When you go to Settings>Accounts>Add Account>Email, select Other then enter your email address and password then Manual Setup. Once you pick POP3, you'll have the option to enter the incoming and outgoing server settings the way you need and even pick the option to leave the message on the server or not.

Each phone and OS version have different options, so there may be some things that change from the S3 to the S5. There's also some great 3rd party email apps through the Play Store that may allow you to get a more customizable experience for your email.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We don't want to see you having trouble with such an awesome phone, drventure.  You should still have the option to manually add a POP3 email account to allow you the flexibility to use the email the way you want. When you go to Settings>Accounts>Add Account>Email, select Other then enter your email address and password then Manual Setup. Once you pick POP3, you'll have the option to enter the incoming and outgoing server settings the way you need and even pick the option to leave the message on the server or not.

Each phone and OS version have different options, so there may be some things that change from the S3 to the S5. There's also some great 3rd party email apps through the Play Store that may allow you to get a more customizable experience for your email.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
drventure

I deleted my account and then created it again. The keyboard was covering the "manual" option the first time but I was able to set up a pop3 account.  That also seems to have resolved the issue of deleting emails, but I will monitor for a few days to confirm.  Thank you.

0 Likes