Galaxy S4 signal strength
cddtrs

I've had the S4 for approximately 4 months and the reception is worse than the Samsung Convoy I had prior to this phone. I drive 75 miles to work and with the Convoy there was a stretch of about 10 miles where sometimes the Convoy would drop a call. With the S4 I can't drive 5 to 10 miles before a call is dropped. I also have trouble in my house with dropped calls that I didn't have with the Convoy. This started immediately when I got the S4 so I don't believe towers are the problem.

I've removed the sim card & battery for 1 minute before reinstalling, turned the Airplane mode on & then off, tried easy mode and installed all updates. The dBm is usually between 101 & 119 with the asu between 1 & 29 and bar strength is normally 1 or 2 bars.  I stopped at the local Verizon retailer and he said I have good coverage where I live(about 5 miles from town) and that there was nothing he could do.

Is there something I haven't tried yet that I should? Is it possible that I have a defective phone?

Thank you

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S4 signal strength
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to fully enjoy the amazing Galaxy S4 cddtrs! What is your zip code? Do you have these difficulties in more than one area? Although the Galaxy S4 is one of our most advanced and reliable handsets, please be aware each device may respond differently in each location.

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
cddtrs

My zip code is 48661. I do have better reception closer to town, which is to be expected. This phone seems to have worse reception and drops a lot more calls the my previous phone(Samsung Convoy) that was 3.5 years older. I've been monitoring the dBm #s and the best I ever had, in town,  was 92. Most of the time the #s are between 110 &119. I didn't know if this was normal or if there might be something else I could try. I thought I read somewhere that sometimes a new sim card is needed, but I'm not sure what to do next.

Thank you

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there cddtrs,

Thanks for the additional information. I've reviewed the 48661 zip code and it looks like that is a solid coverage area. Depending on which direction you drive to work you could drive through some patches of no service areas. What zip codes do you pass through when you drive to work? I'll take a closer look.

Do the dropped calls at home only occur indoors? How is your service outside in that area? Signal can be challenging indoors due to the construction of the building and other surrounding environmental factors.

Please provide additional details so that I can better assist.

NicholasB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
cddtrs

I guess my point was that the Galaxy S4 has worse reception and more dropped call than my previous phone, the Samsung Convoy. Nothing has changed concerning locations, either driving or while at home, so either the phone has an issue or the Galaxy S4 is an inferior product to a phone I purchased almost 4 years ago. If the phone is inferior I have to make the decision of living with the issues or going another direction and paying an early termination fee.

0 Likes