Re: Galaxy S4 reception on 3g networks
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know that having service issues is no fun hmtodd. I'm sorry the SIM card removal did not help with your issues. Our phones have the capability of connecting to 3g when 4g isn't available. The phones will search for the best signal in the area. I was able to review the area via the zipcode you provided and I show this area is no service. I'm happy your trip was successful and you had the coverage you needed. Are your issues inside or do you get better coverage when outside?Have you performed a hard reset or had your phone exchanged? ^KH

KinquanaH_VZw

0 Likes
maggieo

Hi There Verizon People.. Every time I reply to Pamela - or maybe anybody - tonight - it lets me type in here and then at the end says I am not signed it.. so - what I started to write 30 minutes ago - For starters - this site is a nightmare. It tells me to sign in - which takes me to a different page and then I spend the next 20 minutes trying to somehow get this page to show me signed in so I can reply. I don't know what you want re twitter - I "followed" the VZW site there - do you really want me writing all my complaints there?  And - like someone noted - if I can follow you directly or message you - then I don't have the info or know how.  So - the range extender is 3g only so it's not going to help me at my building.. the problem is the 4g on the upper floor is weak - b/c the tower is aimed down - and the phone isn't dropping down to 3g. are you saying an extender is going to make the phone drop down? Besides that we are in a 4G area - so you should take one of your many towers and re-direct it.. you asked if I had a ticket - like I said I opened a ticket w/verizon like 3 weeks ago (sorry for not writing - I was away) - and they were to call me back but they never did.. so - you can look at my account and see the ticket - so that's where all of a sudden I'm supposed to "follow" you - are you talking about following on vzw or twitter or what? and agian - do you want me writing all this stuff of the main vzw twitter thing?  I am very confused. if you think a range extender is going to make our phones drop down better - then please send me one.. Obviously I'm not going to bring the one I purchased (exactly 2 years ago) to work.. but what we need is a better 4 G signal where we are.. so what kind of ticket to you want me to open, with whom and how?  Like I said - evert time I try to be aboe to "reply" on your page here it takes me forever since when I do the "sign in" I end up somewhere ense, but when I come back here I am not signed it - well actually the very top says I am signed in, but the lower down part still says "sign in/register" and I have no "reply" option... so - please advise.  Thank you very much..

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

maggieo, thanks for reaching out to us on this community forum site. We apologize that logging into this site has been difficult for you. For your convenience, you may contact us on Twitter @VZWSupport, Facebook, and by calling our Customer Service Department at 800-922-0204.

Wireless service can be tricky indoors since the building structure can blocks the signal. As a result, when you're not getting good reception at your home, its due to these limitations  that are sometimes referred to as “dead zones,” “coverage holes,” “dead spots” or “obstructed areas.” In these areas of your building, service will fluctuate from 3G to 4G in accordance to your coverage area, which is normal. First, let's verify if 4G is available in your area. Click http://vz.to/qQR9lM

The Network Extender will enhance and boost wireless signal into your building. For more information and to order this device online, please click http://vz.to/GO3te0

Lasina_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
dart44072

I am having signal issues as well.  I purchased an S4 and had terrible reception.  I took it in to get it looked at and was told everything was fine.  They let me know that V was working on some towers.  I came back two days later to a V corporate store and they switched the sim card.  The next day, the same issues.  V replaced my phone with a new one at the store.  I went back today because nothing has changed.  V is sending me another phone to try.  At this point I do not even want to deal with Samsung anymore.  I love the feature on the phone, but if I don't get reception, it's just a paper weight. 

By the way, I have had the dreaded O with the slash through it many times while my wife is standing right next to me.  She has 4G, I have no signal.  She has a Droid Razr.  I will never buy another Samsung phone again.

0 Likes
zettel29

Pamela,

I recently switched to a Samsung Galaxy S4 myself and have been having reception issues. I do not think that it is just my phone however, but I cannot get anyone at technical support to help me out. I live in zipcode 43606 and my roommate is having signal issues in the house, out front of the house and even down the road. This is happening when the phone shows full 4G LTE coverage. I have the S4, he has the iPhone 5S. Can you help me?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Buying a new phone is always exciting but can become frustrating if you start to have signal issues zette129. You chose an awesome phone because I have friends and family who have this phone and love it,and thats how we want you to feel about this phone. I'm sorry you have a new phone and have had to visit the store multiple times but I'm extremely happy that you're receiving a replacement. Just as a reminder, you have a 14day worry free guarantee that allow the return of the phone for a full refund or exchange to a different new phone. If you choose to return the phone within this trial period for a different phone, you will have to pay the difference in cost if there is one and a restocking fee. I can understand the need to try a different type of device after your situation but I want you to be confident in our ability to ensure you have a working phone. Please keep us posted because if you continue to have issues we may have to file a trouble-ticket or review other options. Also, provide your zipcode so that I can review your area for issues. I look forward to hearing from you.

Enjoy your new phone and your weekend.

KinquanaH_Vzw
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
jth2013

I had signal issues out of the box with my first S4.  First let me say I LOVE the phone.  The menu structure and camera are the best.

90% of my use of my phone use is in a rural area, so good signal strength is the most import thing.

Verizon has replaced my Galaxy S4 three times in the last 4 months in an attempt to get a phone with good reception.  I have sat side by side with other Verizon customers who were using their phones(motorolas) for calls and for data, yet I had NO signal.  I could not make a phone call, send a text or use any data.  This has become a constant problem with the S4.  It has been the exact same on all three S4 phones.  Can anything be done to increase reception?

I am trying very hard not to knock the phone.  I absolutely love the menu structure.  The menu structure and the camera is why I chose the S4. They are the best out there!  Unfortunately, I will not be able to use them and I will have to settle for less.

The last straw.  I also have a Verizon MiFi hotspot.  I was sitting with Verizon friends who were making calls, texting and surfing the internet (they each had 2 bars of signal strength showing).  I had ZERO bars of anything.  I turned on the MiFi and it had 4 bars of signal.  I connected my S4 to the MiFi via wireless and made my calls using Skype & Magic Jack!!  Since then I have noticed that my MiFi will have 4-5 bars when the S4 has 1 or none??

I tried real hard to stay with the S4, but its lack of reception  forced me to a different manufacturer's device.  I am now on my 4th phone in 5 months.  I regretfully traded in my S4 for the Motorola Maxx.  Now, I have signal in areas that I had none on the S4.  I am able to use my phone now, but I do miss the S4 for its features.  The menu, camera and just plain basic functionality on the Maxx is no where as nice as on the S4, but I can make calls where I could not with the S4.  Besides being able to use the phone, the battery is the only thing the Maxx has the S4 beat at.

If there is nothing that can be done for an S4, it there a different  model Samsung with great rural reception that has a similar menu  structure and camera?

0 Likes