Re: Galaxy S4 reception on 3g networks
maggieo

Just an FYI, I HAVE changed mine from "global" to LTE/CDMA - still "tries" to get the 4G and signal is bad - but it won't drop down to 3g..

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@maggieo

Thanks for the additional information!  Just to clarify, we have different Network Extender models.  The original models support voice and text only.  However, the latest model does support 3G, not 4G.  It appears the building structure may be causing hindrances to the device signal.  I would recommend our Network Extender http://bit.ly/AKkC to improve indoor 3G coverage, but it will not enhance the 4G signal.  Has a resolution ticket been filed for this exact location?

AnthonyTa_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
maggieo

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for your prompt reply.. So - I wonder which Network Extender I paid for at my house - I guess I will see if I can find out. Meantime, though - having a network extender at my building is going to only improve the 3G signal - that doesn't help me "drop" my phone down from the 4G signal it's trying to get, to the "better" 3G signal.  I'm still in the boat of not being able to change my phone.. Meantime, something should be done to improve the 4G signal where I am.. I doubt it's the building itself - since the same building is fine on the lower floors - even the 12th floor.  As far as "Has a resolution ticket been filed for this exact location?" - I don't know - how do I do that?  I DID call verizon and they did create a ticket - I was supposed to hear back within two days, but I never did and it's been probably more like almost 2 weeks  (the end of the period for me to return my phone).  I'm sure you could find that ticket by looking up my phone number in your system.. However - if there is something I should do - to file this type of ticket you are referring to, please advise, and I will do so.  Also, maybe you could give us (a verizon cell phone company for our entire business) one of these "new" network extenders and see if somehow it would help.  I do think that there should be a way for one of the towers in our city to be directed such that it will support our tall buildings.  Again - though - I will do anything necessary - as far as getting a ticket opened etc - to get some action on this - so please do advise.  Thank you very much for all of your team's prompt replies to our posts here.

- Maggie

0 Likes
maggieo

Just looked at the link for the Network Extender - would love to know if mine is the "newer" kind or not - it looks exactly the same.. again, though - at work, the phones are looking for the 4G signal..

0 Likes
pharmangie
Enthusiast - Level 2

I really think it is a problem with your verizon's tower in your area.  I bought a S3 1yr ago.  I keep having the same problems.  Went through 6 replacement phones trying to get the phone to work in my home town (at the time my town had an old 3G tower).  The phone worked great when I traveled on a 4G network and also worked fine on other 3G towers.  The only thing Verizon offered was to keep sending out replacements, finally they gave me a credit on my bill because they could not keep my data connection.  About 6 months ago they updated our local tower to a 4G, I have never had any problems with data connections since.  I just bought the new S4 and it works like a charm.........  keep bugging them about the loss of data connection, they can see it on there end when you lose connection.  Have all your friends call!!  The more complaints the faster they will fix the tower.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Maggieo,

No worries! I know how important it is to have properly working services. We want you to be able to use your device in the building. A Network extender is a great way to boost your indoor coverage http://bit.ly/AKkC . We can look up the previous tickets. You can Follow us & then Direct Message your mobile number and billing password. Keep me posted.

Thanks,
Pamela_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Maggieo,

We can help! Did you purchase the Network Extender from Verizon Wireless? How long ago did you purchase the accessory? Keep me posted.

Thanks,
Pamela_VZW

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Pamela, you forgot your full username so the user can find you to follow you.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Pharmangie,

Awesome! I am so excited to hear that your services are working properly. We work hard to make sure that our service goes everywhere you go. Thanks for the compliments.

Have a great day!
Pamela_VZW

0 Likes
hmtodd

I did remove the SIM card as requested, but haven't noticed any different performance.  From my experience and from what I am reading here and elsewhere, it appears the S4 needs the user option to ignore 4g.  It would be better if the phone would connect to 3g automatically when 4g is poor, but that might not be technically possible.

As for other phones around in the 42032 zip, I can't say that I did a survey.  Sorry, it would have been a good idea but maybe intrusive to other people.

My trip to zip 37880 was much better than expected.  I was with a group on that trip and everyone using Verizon thought reception was improved from the last time we were there.  Congratulation on that.

A fix would be nice.

Hugh

0 Likes