Galaxy S4 heats after update
stevemn

Verizon offered an update on my Galaxy S4 on April 9. Update number is SCH-1545-NC5 to NG6.  Since the update, my phone occasionally heats up.  I have to reboot to control the problem.  In over a year of ownership prior to this update, I never once experienced this problem.  Can anyone explain?

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S4 heats after update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
I want to make sure that your phone is working properly, stevemn. Can you please confirm that there are no additional updates available by going to Settings>More>Software Update.

Are you noticing that your device is becoming hot during your normal usage? Does the phone become hot when charging? Is there any damage to the device?

AndreaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
jrh0828
Contributor - Level 1

Stevemn, you're lucky that overheating is the only problem NG6 created.  There are many posts here describing the various issues/problems NG6 cause S4 users.  Because of all these problems, I haven't installed NG6. I'm due for an upgrade and I'm debating between the Nexus 6 and the S6.  Anyone with suggestions?

0 Likes
JoeMikeKnight
Contributor - Level 1

I have been fighting with this issue since the NK1 update, NG6 seems to be the worst. Unfortunately there are no known resolutions besides reverting your phone's firmware to pre-NK1. Chat support on this site and even talking to Verizon corporate escalations has not resolved this issue fo rme. They treated me as if my issue was isolated. I know 5 other people who I communicate almost daily with who have this EXACT issue with this particular update - all with Verizon/GS4.  I am probably going to cancel my account after June because of how they have ruined my GS4. I have friends who sit near me with Sprint/At&T/ Same exact phone, not only do they currently have Android 5.0 but they have never had this issue in the past. Verizon blames Samsung, Samsung says call your provider.

0 Likes
stevemn

I confirm that there are no additional updates available.

The device occasionally and unpredictably becomes hot during normal usage. It does not become hot when charging. There is no damage to the device.

This unusual behavior began the day after I installed the recent updates. Before this, it never happened.

When the heating occurs, I can stop it by rebooting the phone.

0 Likes