Re: Galaxy S4 battery draining after NG6 update
szurlo
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's the Kernel Runtime CompCache Daemon. There are a couple of posts a page or two back that go into some detail about what it is. Posts 198 and 199.

0 Likes
stratrider

FWIW, I have been searching all over for reasons why I would have this issue as well.  I have the galaxy s4 running 4.4.2 and am having the same exact issue as described in this long post.  My issue started with the upgrade to 4.4.2.  I see that everyone is screaming at Verizon saying it is their issue.  I just want to throw a wrench in the gears by saying my s4 is on Sprint and having the exact same problem.  Sounds to me like it is a Samsung issue and not a carrier issue.  Yes, it is the carrier's responsibility to the customer, but seems to be Samsung's fault.

0 Likes
caecilia97
Contributor - Level 1

Sounds like the device's Dalvik cache is corrupted to me following the update, which may not have completed completely as a result. If you can clear the cache from recovery, you may see a difference in performance. It's not Samsung any more than it is VZW. This particular behavior (corrupted caches after MR) is a problem with android devices across the board, and happens on every device, from every manufacturer, given the correct set of circumstances.

0 Likes
lando13
Enthusiast - Level 3

My phone is fixed! I'm not sure exactly how. The battery does not drain with the screen off anymore!

Here's what happened:

1. Yesterday, my PIN to unlock my phone just suddenly stopped working. I have no clue how that happened.

2. I tried using Android Device Manager to reset the lock screen, but it didn't work because the lock screen was already set to PIN.

3. I thought I was hosed, but just in case, I rebooted my phone.

4. The PIN worked! HUH??? I then immediately turned off all authentication and I deleted all the certificates on the phone so that I could turn off authentication.

Over 14 hours on battery and I'm over 50% battery life remaining with normal usage during the day (surfing the web, videos, texts, FB messenger, calls).

0 Likes