Re: Galaxy S4 battery draining after NG6 update
ferno1188
Enthusiast - Level 3

@JenniferH_VZW The top 3 under "settings -> battery" for usage are Android OS - 33%; Screen - 23%; and Android System - 11%. I have not changed ANYTHING with my phone with the exception of the recently download NG6 update. I am using the original charger that came with the phone. This is NOT a hardware issue, nor is it an issue with my/anyone else's settings. It is 100% an issue resulting from the NG6 update.

ferno1188
Enthusiast - Level 3

Reboot does seem to help with battery drain. It must wipe out krtccd for at least a while. This morning (after leaving my phone on and charging all night) battery went from 100% to 83%, with extremely little use, in less than 2 hours. After reboot, drain appears to have slowed, as phone has gone from 83% to 81% in the next 2.5 hours.

0 Likes
anotherhaus
Enthusiast - Level 3

You may be on to something with the reboot. My latest update is that this morning I hard reset (full data reset) the phone again for the 4th time since taking the update. I've set up my Google account, Exchange email, and an IMAP email account (both set to push), and my data arrows aren't constantly lit like they have been every other time since taking the update. Also the phone isn't hot (yet) after an hour. The only other thing I did differently this time was I deleted the partnership with Exchange before setting up the exchange account, but since nobody else here has mentioned exchange I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Going on three hours now without significant battery drain. I haven't updated any apps via Google Play, nor have I turned any apps off, including those from Verizon.

So all I really have so far is multiple full data resets and possibly deleting the exchange partnership beforehand seem to have helped for a few hours so far. I've done literally nothing else differently since all the other times I wiped the device and restarted from scratch.

0 Likes
afried89
Enthusiast - Level 1

AntonioC_VZW, or any other customer support, is there any plan to rollback, or fix this update in the coming weeks/months? If not please just inform us now so we can get on with other solutions such as installing another ROM.

medic502
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had the same problem.  I can tell you what I did and it did help a great deal.  I was having the same drain as most of you and what I did was with the phone still on did a battery pull and I also activated the power save which I had never used.  It helped and I feel like I am back to where I was before as far as the battery drain being pretty normal.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

medic502, we don't want this to be a problem for you too! Have you downloaded 3rd party applications to your device? If so, some applications can affect the performance of your device. Try uninstalling any unwanted applications and power your device off/on to soft reset. Keep us posted.

Here's a few tips to save your battery life: http://vz.to/RGq0QW

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Zudnic
Enthusiast - Level 3

Look, @LasinaH_VZW: Read this thread. For each person who posts here there are 100 who don't. There are thousands of people around the country with this problem, and it's not because they downloaded the latest Angry Birds. It's Verizon's problem and we want real answers.

Zudnic
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just to add my voice to the chorus, I just rebooted. In 10 minutes, 20 seconds I have burned 4% of my battery. So, by some 4th grade math, I would burn 100% in about 250 minutes, or just over four hours.

Android OS, 45%. Android System, 12%.

We all pay a premium to be on Verizon and we all expect an answer.

szurlo
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, I've now gone over 2 full days with no issue, which is the longest I've gone since I installed the NG6 update.  I no longer have the device heating, rapid battery drain or high CPU usage for the krtccd process.  The last change I made was to disable "Cloud", "Sync Service" and "Verizon Support and Protection".  I can only guess that one (or more) of them was causing krtccd to get into some kind of tight loop. Just to be clear, this isn't a marginal change in battery life. This is the difference between going from a full charge to low battery alert in 5 hours before, to now going 10-12 hours and still being at 30-40% with the same usage. 

szurlo
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well crap. I spoke too soon. I just went to pick up my phone and it was very warm. Just out of curiosity I checked the temp on the surface of the screen with a non-contact IR thermometer. 105 degrees F.  Yikes. I started CPU Monitor and let it capture data for a few minutes. Sure enough, krtccd again. Rebooted device. krtccd now back to <1% CPU. Waited about 15 minutes and checked screen temp again. 89.  So disabling all those VZW apps apparently didn't do jack.

Screenshot_2014-10-31-17-30-53.png