Galaxy S4 Wifi Connectivity Issues
Mizzely

Hello all,

I have had the Galaxy S4 since December, and for the first couple of weeks I had no issues.

Ever since then, however, I have been unable to use Wifi consistently. It doesn't matter where I am; whether I am at my own home (using a Comcast Xfinity Modem/Router with 50 mb connection), my parents (using a Linksys router with Charter with a 30 mb connection) or at work (using an AT&T hotspot, unknown connection), my phone says it is connected to the Wifi source, but after a few minutes, I have no internet connection. Things just stop loading like I am not connected to any network at all. Toggling Wifi off and then back on again makes it work again for a few minutes, but it goes back to not being a usable connection after 3-5 minutes. This happens regardless if my signal strength is 1 or 5 bars.

Additionally, at my home, I am literally 4 feet away from the router and sometimes have 1 measly bar.

Even more frustrating is that my husband has the exact same phone, is on the same software version (4.3) and has no problems like this whatsoever.

I have turned off Auto-Connect to Wifi, I have turned off Passpoint, I have turned off Auto Network Switch, and I have "Keep Wifi on during sleep" set to Always.

I don't know what else I can do short of doing a factory reset on my device to get this to work. I am sick of having to use my plans data in areas where I should have an awesome wifi connection.

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S4 Wifi Connectivity Issues
cdchurch
Enthusiast - Level 3

All these WiFi issues seem to have started with the 4.3 Android update.  Not sure why yours worked ok at first.  We're all waiting for the 4.4 update to come out to hopefully fix the issues.  It's not just the S4, seems many people had WiFi issues with 4.3.

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

You might try going into your router settings and change the channel number that you are using.  If it set to auto select, deselect that and pick a channel, continue changing channels until one works.  If you have a dual band router change the broadcast frequency to the other band. I have a Belkin router and the frequencys are 20Mhz and 20/40Mhz. I use the 20 Mhz band and my S4 works just fine with it.

0 Likes
Mizzely

It's just weird because my husband's device is the S4 too, also with the 4.3 software, and we have zero issues with it.

0 Likes
Mizzely

Will that cause any problems for my other devices? I have a Wii U, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, a 3DS, a Vita two computers, and my husband's phone on this same network (obviously not all working at the same time). He also has the S4 with 4.3 on it and no issues.

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

Mizzely

I just re-read your post and see that your husband as a S4 and has no problems with Wifi connection. That throws a little wrinkle into the mix.  If I was in your shoes this is what I would do.

1. Remember what your router's current channel and frequency selections are, then change to another channel number. Save the information and shut down the router.

2. Shut down all your electronics and both phones.

3. Power up the router

4. Power up one of your computers and see it connects to Wifi. This will verify Wifi is working.

5, Power up your husbands phone and see if it connects

6. If it does then power up your phone. If it doesn't connect, make sure you have the same wifi settings sellected that your husband's phone has, reboot your phone and see if it connects.

7. If it doesn't connect try another channel on the router, or change the broadcast frequency.

8. Sooner or later you might find a combination that both phones work on.

9. reconnect up the rest of your electronics one at a time to see if they all connect

I know this is a lot of trial and error kind of work, but it just might work for you.  At least you will rule out frequency and channel conflicts and you can always go back to your original router settings. There could be just something wrong with your phone.  BTW my wifi settings for the S4 are, turned on Auto-Connect to Wifi,  turned off Passpoint, turned on Auto Network Switch, and have "Keep Wifi on during sleep" set to Always.

Good Luck

chavr904

Why all of a sudden do I need to jump through hoops of checking settings on modem and reset reload restart unplug my modem or phone when it all started after the update.

0 Likes
cdchurch
Enthusiast - Level 3

You shouldn't have to go through all that.  Seems like some phones have the issue, but not all of them.  Mine has the issue.  I've tried dozens of things - changing channels on my router, updating router firmware, using 5 GHz radio versus 2.4, trying all the wi-fi setting changes I've seen mentioned in tips online, nothing has worked. 

Abohab

I was Having problems with this as well for quite some time. It started off as authentication issue and then turned into the "Network connection to slow", I scoured all over looking for fixes. Tried messing with my router settings and all that stuff with no luck. I had gotten it to work while the airplane mode was turned on only but once airplane was turned off back to "network connection to slow".

Today I was messing around with it and I turned off the "Mobile data" button. On the pull-down menu tap the list button on the top right and tap "mobile data" to off. Now my wi-fi seems to be working fine hope it holds up.

0 Likes
Abohab

Never mind, it just says its connected none of my apps are working and the playstore says no connection with a retry button in the middle.

0 Likes