Galaxy S4 Texting issue after KitKat 4.4.2 update
bulldog_472
Enthusiast - Level 2

Text are sometimes not going through after the KitKat 4.4.2 update.  I have did everything from doing the force stop/clear data of the messaging app to a factory reset and are still having the issue.  I have spoken with Verizon Tech Support and am waiting to here back from them what they are going to do to fix this issue.  Have also noticed that my texting is lagging as I am typing a message as well, that issue started a few days after the update. 

When I spoke to customer support the first time about this issue they had stated that only one other person with a Galaxy S4 was having this problem and they had not updated there device yet.  Seems like more than one person is having this problem.

Re: Galaxy S4 Texting issue after KitKat 4.4.2 update
IrrateCustomer4_4_2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the exact same issue. Since update, I get intermittent text failures, I have never had text failures. Been going on 2 weeks now, 6 calls to tech support, 1 replacement device, new sim card, the "network engineers" said I was in a marginal coverage area...at my desk? Only been sitting at that desk for years and never had an issue! Phone now locks up,

Suggested methods:

Master Reset - no help.

"New" phone - no help, thanks for the refurbished phone in exchange for my new phone!

Try a 3rd party messaging app - no help (this one made me giggle since the stock app should always work)

Delete every contact and re-add them - again a failure!

Remove gmail account, add new gmail and don't use any apps - this did not work either.

Buy a new phone (full retail price) - that's just absurd.

Join Verizon Edge -  pay over full retail price for a phone a little bit at time- fat chance.

Finally Verizon told me just go away, no Early Termination Fee, just go away.

I was told there is no known issue with the 4.4.2 update, that I am an isolated case and I have marginal coverage that my only problem. Yet I can make phone calls, never drop a call from the very same desk I cannot send a text from...pretty sure you need better signal for voice calls than you do text messages, but what do I know, the "Network Engineers" say its marginal so that must be Gospel Truth! In my office of 11, 9 are Verizon, yet only I have issues, I also have the only S4! Theres an S5 two desks down, no issues. A Droid RAZR Maxx to my left, no issues. I even have a Convoy (at my desk that my company provides) not a single issue! Marginal Network my butt!

Verizon, Google, Samsung step up to the plate, admit there is something wrong, we are typically reasonable people if you tell us "Hey we found a glitch, we are working on it" we might just settle down and suffer through sending a text 17 times before it actually gets sent!

eternalsunshine
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just wanted to chime in here and say that I've also been having issues with sending texts, continual lag, etc. so it's definitely not an isolated issue. My signal keeps dropping down from 4G to 3G and lower ever since the update as well. Really annoying...

dickwols
Enthusiast - Level 2

Both wife's Galaxy S4 as well as my phone started experiencing intermittent problems sending texts. Would work for a few minutes then would start seeing "failure" on sending. Receiving texts seemed to work fine. Called Samsung tech support directly and after the usual, clear messaging cache, delete data with no effect the tech suggested going to a Best Buy where they have the Samsung courtesy desk to download (soft update) directly once again the kit kat 4.4.2 update. Failed later again in the day. This time I took the phone to a Verizon store and they did a hard reset. This seemed to fix the texting problem as its been 3 days now with no failures. Looks like I will need to do the same with wife's phone. This is no isolated case so please Verizon don't feed us that BS. However, to be fair Samsung did mention that they have only seen this with Verizon customers and strongly feel the problem is connected to their network.

0 Likes
deinesjw
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue here. Immediately after the 4.4.2 update, my text messages started failing on my S4. This is a simple glitch that Verizon's update probably perpetrated, and we aren't getting any help with it. As with everybody else, my phone was working fine (and being used in the same location) before the update, and now I have to re-send about 30% of my messages 3 or 4 times before they go through. As far as problems go, it's a minor annoyance, but Verizon needs to step up their game, announce there's a fault and that they're working on it.

cazimmy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issue. It definitely started after the last update. I have found that turning airplane mode on and then off will solve the issue for a little while but it needs to be fixed asap.

bulldog_472
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was told by Verizon tech that when I get a failure on a text that it is not even getting on the network.  It's as if my text never leaves the device.  They informed me that my ticket was attached to a much larger ticket, so it seems more people are having this issue. I have a friend that has a S4 and is with another carrier and he has had no issues since the update.@

0 Likes
oblade

Initially the update worked great.  After a few weeks I started having issues.  I did notice that the issues are only present when my phone switches over to 3G.  In my office for some reason since the update I now only get 3G unless I restart my phone, then I get 4 G for about 5 minutes (long enough to send a few texts).  The same thing happens at my house due to the steel siding.  I never had issues sending text messages with any other phone on any other OS.  Now my wife's S4 is doing the same thing.  The only solution I have been given is to upgrade early on a 2 year contract or switch to EDGE.  I'm thinking, since this is isolated to Verizon I am going to wait out my contract and find a new provider, if that is the best solution Verizon can offer. 

0 Likes
Graftyman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same issue.  Hours on the phone with tech support.

Factory Reset: No love

New Warranty Replacement: No Love

Verizon Store: offered for me to pay for new phone, tech support on site basically said there was nothing.

Worked up supervisor chain with Verizon.  No help at all. They will not replace the phone with something that works. Claimed it's a Samsung Issue.

Called Samsung: They claim it's not their responsibility to make sure texts work, that is the carrier and that my bluetooth problem with my car is not their problem as they only test with Samsung bluetooth devices and won't guarentee it works.

This all worked fine before the update.  The replacement phone came with 4.3 and worked fine then did an update over night.  4.4.2 is broken for the S4.  I offered verizon to wave the termination fee and I'll go away.  I'm waiting for 72 business hours for a supervisor/supervisor to call back.

VERIZON PLEASE DO THE RIGHT THING!!!!!

dickwols
Enthusiast - Level 2

I spoke too soon. After spending time on the phone etc with both Verizon and Samsung support, and after having a hard reset done at the Verizon store all seemed to work good. Well it did for about 2 days. Texts are back to failing again. Does not matter if I am wi-fi connected or not. Simply starts failing with no discernible pattern.   Rep at the store says I should upgrade to an S5 even though my phone is only 4 months old. Said they could, for an additional monthly cost give me the S5 but I'd need the 10gig plan. Can you believe this cr*ap?? No accountability here whatsoever. Simply steer the customer to a more costly plan etc as the remedy. Unbelievable. AT&T, here I come.