Galaxy S4 Battery
tmc75
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was thinking of buying a replacement battery for my Samsung Galaxy S4. Has anyone ever bought a replacement/backup battery?  If so, where is the best place to get one that will be worth it?

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S4 Battery
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The last I checked, Batteries Plus Bulbs still sells replacement batteries for the S4.

A word of caution as it relates to Verizon Wireless....The number of days that the S4 can remain on the Verizon Wireless network are coming to an end. Verizon Wireless has closed off the CDMA network in preparation for the activation of the new 5G network. I believe that the CDMA network will be shut down on December 31, 2019.

If the S4 is your primary mobile phone, it would be well advised to purchase a new phone before the end of next year.

0 Likes
tmc75
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the battery info.

I will hold on to this phone as long as I can closer to the end of 2019.  I assume that Verizon would reach out to me (and anyone) who still has an older model phone.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

There have been a couple of topics opened concerning the inability to register older phones onto the Verizon Wireless network. Verizon Wireless reps have confirmed that the CDMA network has been closed off.

I am using my old S4 to type this reply by connecting to my Verizon FiOS WiFi. I've removed the SIM card and am using the S4 as a pocket computer. (I upgraded to an S7 Edge)

Without the SIM, the S4 loses the ability to make & receive calls, access to the 4G/LTE network, use Verizon Wireless's Message + app, and, drops access to the My Verizon app.

Verizon Wireless may post a statement of the CDMA shutdown in a future bill. Still, a self reminder around September or October 2019 to upgrade would be recommended.

0 Likes
B_DTEKDFAMILY

Why is the Galaxy S4 4G LTE phones service being discontinued?  They say 3G CDMA service will be shutdown.  When in the settings I can choose a Global or LTE/CDMA or LTE/GMS/UMTS mode?  Can someone explain this to me?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The S4 uses CDMA to make and receive telephone calls. With the shutdown of the CDMA network, only phones that can make & receive calls over the 4G/LTE network will be allowed to register.

The S4 doesn't have the ability to make & receive calls over 4G/LTE, so, it cannot be brought back onto the Verizon Wireless network.

0 Likes