Re: Galaxy S4 32/64gb ?
spereau
Enthusiast - Level 3

Simple solution - use your phone to store apps (since you can redownload them from the Android store at any time if you need to switch devices) and then just use the SD card for your transferable media (photos, music, etc).  I hear people complaining about the "space left for apps" on the 16GB version, but it's like .. are people REALLY going to download so many apps on their phone that they're going to fill up the entire remaining 8GB?  Most apps are LESS than 50MB!!!  I always back up my devices (photos, music,etc) so I have no complaints about using an SD card.  Realistically, no one should use a full 8GB for JUST apps - that's ridiculous.  As for not being able to transfer apps between storage, you can thank Android for that bc it's an issue with the Jellybean software (as someone CORRECTLY mentioned in a previous comment) - it has nothing to do with Verizon and if reps are telling you that, then it's obviously a mistake on their end.  HOWEVER, I went with my boyfriend when he picked up his S4 from T-Mobile, and the T-Mobile reps were telling him the exact same thing - that he COULD save apps to the SD card.  It honestly just sounds like there was some miscommunication  between Samsung/Android and the carriers.

I've been an avid iPhone user since the release of the first 3G and have had every model since.  At this point in the game, having more "internal storage" is not enough for me to stick around.  The Galaxy S4 is an excellent device and far better than any iPhone I've ever owned.  I am patiently waiting to make the switch next month for my upgrade.  Not happy with Verizon?  Stop crying about not being able to get a new phone yet, switch carriers, and get on with life.

0 Likes
rushmore69
Enthusiast - Level 3

That is respectfully silly as far as 9GB is enough.  You are implying your OWN standard on everyone else.  This device has a 3D chipset and those apps are HUGE.  The average games that are 3D now from Gameloft and Electronic Arts are over 1.5GB EACH.  Why have a fancy hardware device if you can not use it as designed and as they are marketing?  Samsung is pushing the 3D features and marketing with: Gameloft and Electronic Arts.  The average size for those games that are being optimized for the S4 are 1.8GB each.

For people that are fine with 9GB, great.  On the other hand, please do not impose perception of your own standard upon others.  The S4 for a lot of us with 9GB is like having a Ferrari with a 9 quart tank.  Fair analogy.

Asmodian
Enthusiast - Level 3

Realistically, no one should use a full 8GB for JUST apps - that's ridiculous.

That sounds ridiculous to me, remember how funny "640 KB of RAM should be enough for anyone" sounds?  Just because you don't use it right now doesn't mean others do not or will not in the near future.  I have 20+ TB of storage and 100+ GB of RAM between my home computers but >16GB on my phone is "ridiculous"?  I would like it if my phone could do everything my other computers can but saddly we aren't there yet.  80GB MAX total storage sounds ridiculous to me.

I would much rather have a 64GB Galaxy S4, I went with the 16 due to no other option but I am unhappy with Verizon because of it.  You say I don't need it? Fine, I say I do and I am willing to pay for it.

0 Likes
BamaBoi334
Contributor - Level 1

i thought about the 16gb and at first i thought it wouldnt be enough...i have an 8gb ipod and i have over 20 apps and still have space and i dont use them all. but everybody is different and we should have a choice of the 3 models..some people like gaming on their phone and need the extra space. if verizon do decide to release the 32gb hopefully its within the 14 day period so people can exchange.

MikeGuy1981
Enthusiast - Level 1

I know im just one voice and i don't know if this will even reach the proper eyes but i'm sure i don't stand alone on the issue I have. I currently have a galaxy s3 with 32 gb memory. I along with many want to buy a galaxy s4 but cant. Not because of finacial reasons but because of free space on the s4. Verizon only offers the 16gb model of the s4 and out of the 16gb only slighy less than 9gb is usable. Apps cannot be stored on a sd card and on my 32gb s3 i have 11gb in apps. If i buy a s4 i will not only loose apps i use but i also cant download any more. It would be a downgrade. Again i know im only one person, one voice and i dont know if the person reading this even is the correct one to make a differance but please verizon if possible sell a 32gb and/ or 64gb model of the galaxy s4. It would make me very happy and i know im not alone. Have a great day, Michael a loyal verizon wireless customer.

spereau
Enthusiast - Level 3

You are correct about the 9GB - I don't use any large games so I had no idea that there were some available in such a large size.  Most everything else I have seen (from what I checked) and what I use, is around 50MB or less.  I also didn't realize that 3D "gaming" could be done on the S4.

You also have to remember that Samsung is advertising the products they are offering, not based on what each carrier is offering.  People seem to be upset with Verizon for reasons they shouldn't be.  Look at AT&T for example - bc of the contracts and licensure they had with Apple, iPhones were exclusively available through AT&T only.  It wasn't Verizon's fault that the iPhone wasn't available to its customers, yet people of course wanted to blame Verizon.  I hope that since Verizon is always the last to carry newly introduced products, that means Samsung will release a 32GB version later on like they did with AT&T?  If not, it's very possible that maybe AT&T has an exclusivity "right" (or something) with Samsung that will make them the only official carrier to have the 32GB available and maybe that process was the reason why it was released at a later date?

If 8GB of internal storage is not enough, then choose a phone that is more practical for you and how you use your devices instead of complaining about the carrier.  It's the manufacturer's flaw in design.  Practicality > newest devices.  Do we really think Verizon is making the clear-cut choice to NOT offer the larger versions to its customers?  Seems improbable.  If you're due for an upgrade, then maybe consider switching to AT&T if it's available in your area?  ETF would only be approximately $150 at this point.

0 Likes
spereau
Enthusiast - Level 3

You could afford a new phone, why not dump the extra $150 for the ETF and just switch to AT&T so you could get the bigger model?  At this point, it doesn't seem like anyone in the US is going to carry the 64GB version and if anyone does, it will probably be AT&T.  What happens if by some miracle Samsung DOES allow Verizon to release the 32GB model later like they did with AT&T?  This is exactly why I don't feel bad for the people who feel like they absolutely MUST have the latest, hyped up devices the minute they are available.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

While I agree with your assertion you should have a choice, the fact is you DO have a choice. If other carriers are selling the device you want, then you have a choice to leave Verizon and go with the other carrier.

Additionally, while I agree you should have a choice, Verizon ALSO has a choice of which devices they want to offer on their network. For Verizon to offer a device, they most likely have to guarantee a certain amount of sales to the manufacturer before the manufacturer is willing to give them the device. I don't know what the sales data is for different sizes(i.e. 16 GB vs 32 GB) of the Samsung GS3, but Verizon may have come to the conclusion that the 32GB model just did not sell enough units in order to justify the GS4 in larger memory sizes. That MAY be a choice Verizon has made. If the 32 GB version just sat on the shelves while the 16 GB version sold quickly, Verizon may have taken a loss by offering the 32 GB version.

While I would certainly choose more memory, most people I know ALWAYS choose the lowest price option when looking at a 16 GB vs 32 GB & 64 GB models. That means the 16 GB model. This may or may not be how most people make their purchasing decisions, but I am sure Verizon took this into consideration when, at least in the beginning, offering only the 16 GB model of the GS4.

CntryGyNSD
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello rcschnoor,

Your points are of course sound and you are likely correct that IF Verizon decides not to carry the 32 gb model these are likely among the reasons for not doing so.  What isn't being considered is there was a not so quiet change in Android that prevents the installation of applications on SD cards.  This is a very significant change, especially when combined with the inordinately high amount of internal memory Samsung's additional features take up.  I have chosen (since Verizon has made no verifiable announcement for or against carrying the 32 gb model) to order it and then put all of the apps I want to use on it.  If it isn't a problem I'll keep it but if it is I will return it and wait.  I have no other choice due to Verizon's silence.  Rather than debate whether this is an issue I'll just see for myself.  This is very wasteful but Verizon has left its customers no other choice.  We have to figure it out for ourselves.  I would have happily shelled out $50 or $100 extra to ensure I'd have no issue and I'm guessing there are many power users out there that would have done the same.  I could wait, of course, but as we've all stated we don't even know if they are going to offer a "choice".

AZSALUKI
Legend

your average user is going to buy the cheapest one, and your average user is who verizon targets. your average user will also have more than enough memory with the 16gb model. that being said, i agree with the smaller % of users who are upset about 16gb's (9 usable). i have the 16gb note ii and it works for me. however, a few months back i checked out a game that i found to be incredible. i have plenty of games that i pass the time with, but they are the simple, smaller apps. this one was 1.4gb. i did play it for about a week, but uninstalled it because it was so large. the fact is that they are providing us with the hardware and software to run these amazing games, but limiting it to only being able to install 3-4 of them at a time. to me it's similar to when 4g was new. sure, you could get a 4g device, but what was the point if you lived in a market that had no 4g service? you can get phones now that are capable of running 3d games, but what good is it if you can't install all of the ones that you want? now i don't think this is a huge deal, but there's a handful of customers that will leave over issues like this one. i just read or heard somewhere that 1 in 3 users now choose the device first, and then the carrier. i don't believe verizon is in trouble (yet), but at some point, the other carriers will provide comparable coverage and similar or better prices. at that point, verizon will have to start giving the market what they demand in terms of devices. however, they still blow away the competition in coverage so it's likely smarter for them to focus on devices for the masses, as opposed to the devices that only a few will spend the extra money on. verizon knows what sells and that is what they offer. they don't need to mess around with a model that only a small % of customers will purchase. at&t just returned a boatload of "htc first" devices, as unsold inventory. they sold 15,000 units of that android atrocity. now i'm sure the 32gig s4 would do much better than that, but the point is that the 16gb model will be the best selling model by far. most people don't think about "can i load 10 1gb games?" they think "it's $50 cheaper and i can buy a 32gb micro sd, case, and car charger with that $50."