Galaxy S3 won't charge after latest KitKat update
kernenpm
Enthusiast - Level 3

I updated to the latest KitKat 4.4 on Saturday June 28th and I was able to charge my phone that night. I go to charge on Sunday June 29th and the phone wont charge nor will it even recognize a charger is hooked up to it. I have pulled the battery, tried safe mode, tried different USB cords, tried the car charger, plugged it into the USB port on a computer and nothing has worked. I have yet to use the OEM charger and USB with the phone because the USB is hooked up to my computer at work. Has anyone found the OEM charger to be the solution? Even if that is the solution it seems a bit ridiculous I can only use one charger for my phone.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Galaxy S3 won't charge after latest KitKat update
BalorDragon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually I don't think you know anything about the situation, Verizon must approve all software before it goes on the device. That is why Verizon does not have 4.4.4 on any device yet.    >>comments removed<<

Edited by:  Verizon Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

kernenpm, thanks for these details. It's recommended that you use the charger that came with your device. Additionally, we also recommend that you charge that device with a wall charger and not your computer since your device will attempt to automatically transfer media to your PC via USB cable. Is there any physical damage or corrosion in the battery port of your phone?

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
kernenpm
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've used the charger that came with the device and that also does not work. The phone is not recognizing any charger, computer, etc. It is usually always charged from a wall outlet and was plugged into an outlet when I first realized that it wasn't charging. I've spoken to Samsung and they have no clue. I went to Best Buy and spoke to the Samsung techs and they could see no physical damage or corrosion in the battery port or on the battery itself. The only change that has come to the phone in the last two days is the KitKat 4.4.2 update.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Kernenpm,

Thanks for the additional details! Have you checked the charging port for any debris? Please remove the battery from the device >With the battery removed and the device facing up, plug an OEM charger (charger that came in box with device)  into the charging port and observe the LED indicator. Please tell me if a red light comes on for at least 4 seconds, if not, send me the results of what occured.

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
kernenpm
Enthusiast - Level 3

I checked the charging port for debris and had the Samsung guys at BestBuy look at it and there were no debris. I did as you said and no red light came from the LED indicator. Does, that mean the charging port is bad?

0 Likes
dmtml
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same issue.  4 separate chargers that worked before the update are no longer working.  This is a software issue, not a hardware issue.  I doubt hundreds of Galaxy s3 users suddenly got corrosion in their charging ports at the exact time an update occurred.   Puh-lease.

kernenpm
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree with you but want to hear what they say about the LED indicator. I have 330 views in a day of posting so clearly my problem isn't unique.

0 Likes
kernenpm
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm going to go to a store again today and see if they have wireless charging receiver I can test out. If that doesn't work then that means it is a software issue. If it does work, great I can charge my phone, but it still doesn't rule out a software issue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Kernenpm,

Thanks for the details! If the LED indicator does not illuminate, the next step would be to try a different charger and/or a different wall socket. Keep me posted with the results.

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
kernenpm
Enthusiast - Level 3

Already tried that. It doesn't work. This is getting ridiculous. Would someone please escalate the issue of the KitKat 4.4.2 update screwing up everyone's galaxy S3. I realize the update came from the manufacturer but did no one at Verizon think to check to see what kind of bugs it came with? T-Mobile buying out my ETF is looking like a much better option since everyone at Verizon has told me to purchase a new phone.